12 Returning To The Flame

Pain.

Pain was the one thing everyone felt, including vampires.

Brooke's eyes snapped open as a fiery pain started in her leg.

Her eyes widened as she saw sunlight starting to stream in through the open curtains in her hotel room.

She jumped out of bed and sped her way to the curtains, quickly closing them.

Pain flared up in stronger doses and she let out a fierce hiss as her eyes made contact with her injury.

Her lower left leg was burnt. She was relieved that the burn was starting to fade but blue bruises were starting to fill their place.

Her eyes moved to her right leg where Aiden's claws had scratched her.

She saw that her bandage was red and knew that running had probably caused the claw marks to reopen.

She sighed and decided that she needed new clothes.

She hadn't brought money, so compulsion was the next best thing.

*

"Are you checking out ma'am?" she looked up at the reception desk to find that it was a different person this time. It was an older man with graying hair and brown eyes.

"Yes." Brooke replied as her hands fidgeted in her gloves.

The man nodded and Brooke walked towards the main entrance door.

Her leg was throbbing from being put through so much.

Brooke had rebandaged her right leg, and had gotten a new sling for her hand. Her hand felt a little better but it still needed a few days to heal. Brooke had also gotten clothes from a nearby store.

Her compulsion worked very nicely and earned her a blue button up blouse, leather jacket and black cargo pants that barely went to her ankles.

Her injury from the sun earlier this morning was now replaced with about four bruises that added up to the original size of her burn.

Brooke had threw her other clothes away, well her shirt and Aiden's shorts.

Aiden.

Was he looking for her?

She decided to not answer her own question because she was sure she wouldn't like the answer.

A sigh escaped Brooke's mouth as she continued to walk off of the hotel premises.

She made her way to the forest and knew that she had to return to Aiden's pack.

She was already starting to feel the pain of being away from him.

And if she felt it than he did as well. Brooke had been alone for centuries, and she had always thought the idea of love was stupidity at it's best. That was until she discovered that vampires, whether they are born or created, had beloveds made specifically for them.

Brooke took a deep breath, there was not many things Brooke kept from her human life, but breathing, although not necessary, was a habit.

Brooke steadied herself and made sure her bandage was secure before she took off running.

As she ran she decided something.

She would treat Aiden the way he treated her. She would not be nice, and she would not let him know how much she cared. If he wasn't going to accept her then she would not accept him, well she let him think that at least.

It was too soon when she returned to the familiar giant house. The sun was down and the moon was soon to be fully in the sky.

Inside the house many lights were on, but Brooke knew the pack was not inside, she knew they were at the pack house down the road.

Brooke felt nervous as she approached the door. Her hand slowly went for the doorknob, but before she reached it the door flew open to reveal the last person she wanted to see at the moment.

Aiden's eyes narrowed in anger. Brooke was not going to go through this, not again. She couldn't take him yelling at her right how, she was too tired and worn out to fight.

She knew she probably looked like a mess, most vampires did not get tired, but Brooke was not like most vampires. Her gifts made her more vulnerable.

She took a deep breath, Aiden's scent attacking her.

"Yell at me tomorrow." she said trying to be strong, but her voice cracked on the last word.

Aiden didn't reply and Brooke pushed her way past him and towards the stairs.

She notice that the entire place was trashed and a hole was in the far left wall. What had he done when he realized she left?

"You left me. " Brooke came to stop as Aiden's beautiful voice filled her ears. It took a moment before his words registered in her mind but when they did, her emotions started to come through.

"You didn't make it seem like you wanted me here, I thought I was doing you a favor." she replied without turning to face him. She continued up the stairs but was stopped when a warm hand grabbed her upper arm, stopping all movement and causing tingles to erupt throughout her.

"I'm sorry." Aiden said quietly. Brooke was surprised by this. She never thought he would say that to her.

She slowly turned to face him and almost gasped at how close he really was to her.

Their noses were only inches apart.

She shook her head, she was not going to give in already, not after all that he has done and said to her.

It took more strength than she would ever admit to take a step back. His eyes filled with hurt, and that made Brooke mad. He was not the one who should be hurt right now.

"You tell me to get out, and when I do you get upset." Brooke started. Aiden clenched his jaw before looking out over the stairs.

"You are so scared to let someone in, that you push your own mate away." she continued.

"Vampires are not given a choice of whether or not they accept their beloved, but I hear werewolves can reject their mate, and I know it is true. " Aiden's fists clenched tightly as his jaw twitched.

"So if you want to reject me, I'll understand. It's okay Aiden, you don't have to pretend anymore. I'll leave." Brooke said quietly as she took another step back. She was on the verge of tears, but she would not let him see her cry.

His eyes snapped up to meet hers and he let out a loud growl before he advanced towards her. She backed up until she was against the wall. He came close enough that she could feel his breath on her nose.

"I will never reject you." he said,his eyes noticing her arm in the sling for the first time. Brooke couldn't meet the intensity of his eyes and instead looked at the ground.

"You will not leave me again, or you will regret it. " Aiden growled. His nice tone was gone and the other Aiden was back.

After those words were spoken he pushed himself away and rushed to his room.

Brooke stayed where she was for a moment before she growled to herself and rushed to her own room.

She slammed the door shut and slowly walked towards her bed. Her eyes flicked to the clock on her bedside table and it read 4:55 a.m.

Brooke could feel exhaustion overtake her and the prices of using compulsion. Usually a vampire only uses compulsion when absolutely essential, and even then they don't use it twice in a row. Brooke felt her eyes become heavy and felt her strength leave her.

She didn't even have the energy to get under her covers.

Her eyes began to close.

The last thing on her mind was Aiden.

~•~

Amanda in the media box.