Chapter Eleven

"W-What do you mean? How? When? Why?"

"Just get down to the precinct. Take the kids with."

"On my way," I say as I hang up.

My heart rips at having to interrupt the innocent, happy shrieks coming from the toddler. "Guys, come on, we gotta go."

Ten minutes later, I have the twins in the child's room at the precinct, coloring with Eli while I continue my on-hold nervous breakdown.

"Liv, we-"

"Why?" I ask, interrupting. "We had him! All our evidence supported it!"

"We had him on the murder of Elliot Stabler. Elliot Stabler isn't dead."

"He is by law! That's what Witness Protection means!! He took on a new identity and Elliot Stabler is now dead!"

"But he isn't."

"Then why the hell didn't they get charged with murdering Kathy?! She committed suicide over their goddamn game!" I exclaim, ready to throw myself through a wall.

"Liv, calm down. I know, it's not right. Kathy committed suicide on her free will. Her kids got along fine without-"

"Don't even play that," I interrupt again, continuing my pacing. "They found out he was alive! Kathy never got the chance!"

"Would it help if I brought Tucker down here? So you could yell at him?" I can tell Cragen is very upset about the situation too, and would rather not deal with me. I just can't handle anything right now.

"That won't make me feel any better. Yelling at you sure hasn't."

"Go sit with the kids. I'm sure they'd like an explanation."

"I'm supposed to tell them their father's murderer got away?!"

"Don't say it like that. Say we couldn't hold him on their dad's murder. But, Liv, we're comparing DNA found at the latest victim's crime scene to Marcos. It's bound to match so they don't have to worry. Fin and Munch are out watching him."

I nod, slowly going towards the kids. Slowly.

"He doesn't know where Elliot is, Liv. It's alright," I hear behind me.

"I know," I croak. "What about Kath-"

"Already on their way."

I nod. Good.

My feet carry me to a chair too small for me, but I sit anyways. Eli waddles right up to me and I take him in my arms.

"I love you guys," I say. "I promise we're gonna get him."

"Liv, what's going on?" Dickie asks.

"Our perp got released. NYPD wants to make sure you're all safe."

"But not you?" Lizzie asks. "I feel like-"

"I'm never safe. I'm a cop, remember?"

They look at each other and I know they don't agree with me.

"Everyone knows how close you and Dad are. You have to be on his radar."

Child of a detective; she knows too much. I shake my head.

"I won't be. I'll be safe. I promise. I'm not gonna let anything happen to you or me or anyone else."

"So how are they gonna arrest him now?" Dickie asks.

"We had to release him on the murder charge. We're getting him on the rapes. We just have to wait for the DNA to match."

"What if it doesn't?"