5:00 pm

My eyes concentrated on the keys of my laptop as the time slowly dragged on. As I chewed at the end of my pencil, I continued to search each and every corner of my mind. The blank page mocked me, for I knew I'd have to come up with a good idea for my project. I can always write a good paper without any problems; persuasive papers, research papers, etc. But for some reason I couldn't write personal experience papers. The cool breeze from my open window engulfed me in a sense of shame, a feeling that I almost never experienced while writing. But now as I sat here, my mind completely blank, nothing could be less comforting than feeling so ashamed of myself. Suddenly, my sister came rushing into my room, giving me a scare.

"Come on Alaina!" Sadie screeched. "You're not gonna wear that to the concert are you?!" I looked down at my old t-shirt and ripped up jeans. I never cared much about how I looked, but my sister was another story. She was wearing a floral print dress with her hair twirled into perfect curls. Her eyeliner was neatly done, winged at the corner of each eye. She gave me a disapproving look as she put her hand on her hip.

"What's wrong with this?" I asked. She scoffed.

"We have backstage passes! I'm not letting you go back there wearing... that" She replied. I rolled my eyes slightly and kicked my legs up onto my desk.

"Also, you could use a little makeup, hun" she squeaked. I glared at her as she skipped out of my room.

"Brat" I mumbled to myself. She's always been a brat, ever since she was little. She's fifteen now, and still hasn't grown out of it. I turned back to my laptop and let out a sigh. This project was assigned at the beginning of the year, due at the end, and I've been holding off writing it all year. You'd think I would have come up with something by now, but my mind has still not been creative enough to do so. I slumped over to my dresser and threw on some acid wash jeans and a black sweatshirt. I laced up my high top black converse, and placed a snapback hat on top of my wavy dark brown hair. I put some eyeliner around my bright green eyes, along with some layers of mascara. She was right about the makeup part, I didn't want to go backstage without a little bit of eye makeup. I grabbed my Fall Out Boy CD that I bought for Patrick to sign, and placed it in my bag. I took a final look at my laptop and sighed.  I was majoring in writing in college, and was the best in my class. But for some reason I couldn't write this damn essay. My life was simple, planned out. I was going to get a job in writing, whether it is journalism or being an author, I was going into writing. My parents were determined that I do so. That made me happy of course, they didn't support me much, but at least they supported my writing. Ever since I was little and wrote stories about mystical creatures, they were right there beside me, reading over my shoulder as I wrote.

I closed my laptop and walked into the kitchen where my parents were standing at the counter waiting. I walked over to our small dining table and grabbed an apple.

"You two are going to be back before twelve, correct?" My dad asked Sadie. I rolled my eyes at how overprotective they are.

"Yes, Dad" She said impatiently. My mom put her hands on Sadie's shoulders.

"Don't do anything stupid, understood?"

"I won't, I'll be fine!" Sadie said, removing my mom's hands from her shoulders. "Maybe you should worry about Alaina." I gave her a glare. Sadie does stupid things all the time, there's no stopping her. One time she almost got arrested for breaking into a store at midnight with her ex. She can also get any guy she wants, which makes me sick.

"Make sure she doesn't get into any trouble" My mom said sternly. I nodded my head.

"We better go." I said as I grabbed my bag. I slipped the core of the apple into the trash and motioned for Sadie to follow me out the door.

"Be good!" My dad yelled as we walked into the cool evening air.

"I'm always good!" I shouted back as I closed the door slowly, and headed for the car.

______

author's note: (The girl at the top is Alaina)