Christmas Dinner

I guess what Pontius said was right after all. It’s been around two years after- what I call the rainy days- and now it was all rainbows and sunshine. Not in the sparkly eyes, jumping stuffed animals, and glittered backgrounds way, but like, good enough. It felt like nothing wrong is ever going to happen again, and I hope that life will stay like this.

 Ryan never told me what he has as a ‘part-time job’ and what he studied in college, but I finally found out. He is now an intern at-drum roll please- the hospital that his dad (head of the cardiology department) works in. That’s a shocker.

            Wait, I’m not done. We-as in my family- did something different this Christmas. We actually had a decent family dinner during Christmas Eve. The fact that we were scattered around different continents didn’t really matter. I was coincidentally in London. Foster The People had this gig in a festival, so I came but I decided to stay back for God knows how long. Mark was like, “Are you sure you don’t want to come back to LA with us?” And I was like, “Jeez, guys. Can I spend some time here with my brother?” Then Andy was like, “Come on, man. I don’t get to see her that often.” Then they argued a little, Mark and Andy. Guess who lost. No, not Andy but Mark. I know, I’m pretty much shocked too.

The fact that mom flew all the way from Australia and Uncle Ben and Josh flew all the way from San Diego to London still amazes me. There was something different. We didn’t have dinner at Andy’s place, but at Riley’s parents. My family and hers, who thankfully got along quickly, no worries.  After we finished eating, Riley and I tragically got kicked out of the living room. Both of us didn’t understand what was going on, and scumbag Josh was on guard. “Josh?”

“Yes?”

“What’s going on?”

“I was sworn to secrecy.” He folded his arms,

“You-” I paused, “Do you even know what’s going on?”

“Yes, and I was told not to tell you.”

“So-”

“-And Riley too.” He interrupted her, “Sorry.”

It could be put in a way where the grown ups are having this important family meeting with Riley and I as the obnoxious, hyperactive, and loud little kids who is a distraction. Riley and I finally gave up, and decided to do something with Martin, Riley’s nephew. So she has a big sister, Sam, who’s married to Daniel, both of them are a part of the living room society along with my family and her parents, and have a four year old. “Hey, Martin!” She spoke in a baby’s voice and scooped that little guy up,

“What do you think they’re discussing about?” I blurted, leaning on the wall.

“I don’t know. Your mom, uncle, cousin, and brother are there along with my parents, Sam, and Daniel.” She said as a matter-of-factly,

“I can’t think of anything.”

“I don’t get why we’re not a part of it.” She sighed,

“Did you do something wrong?” I asked with alarm,

She squinted her eyes and thought, “Not that I know of. Did you?”

“No.” I shook my head, “And if I did, this isn’t how they deal with it.”

“What makes you think it’s about us?”

“Because we’re not allowed to know.” I stated,

“Right.” She chewed her bottom lip. “I guess one of us is in trouble then.”

There was this idea that came across my mind, along with a sinister smirk. That earned an understanding look from her, “I guess we’re going to find out.”

“What do you have in mind?” She has gained interest. I gestured her to put Martin down, and so did she. I knelt down so I could easily talk to him,

“Are you hungry?” I asked sweetly,

“No!” His mouth formed an ‘o’ and it was really adorable,

“What about a cookie?” I grinned and he enthusiastically nodded. “Go get some from your mommy!”

“Cookie!” He cried excitedly. I slipped in my phone on the pocket of his overall with the voice recorded on and recording.

“Your mom’s in the living room.” I guided him, keeping distance from being seen. “Go get your cookie!”

“You. Are. A. Genius.” Riley whispered, “Why didn’t I think of that?”

“Maybe it’s because you don’t live with enough boys to get involved in a prank war.” I shrugged, “You’re lucky, it’s war out there.”

“It must be.” She chuckled. Then we heard the squeaks of Martin’s shoes. Martin, the kid with the answer to what they were talking about. I guess it’s some serious stuff, therefore the nosiness of Riley and I. We glanced at each other with wide eyes then looked at Martin like he was a national treasure. He was happily chewing on a cookie that his mom really gave him, thank God.

“I think it’s not going to be that much.” I started to feel all tingly,

“That’s fine, at least we’ll have something.”

“Okay.” I said and took the phone out. I stopped the recorder and was ready to press replay.

“Do it.” She gritted with nervousness.

So I pressed the button and braced myself.

*Martin’s shoes squeaking against the wooden floor*

Sam: You have my blessing.

Martin: Mommy, can I have a cookie?

Sam: Sure thing, sweetie.

Riley’s mom: That’s great news!

*Josh’s annoying laugh*

Riley’s dad: Could you repeat that again?

This is it! Here lies the answer to what they were discussing about! I thought, getting a little excited.

*Someone clears his throat*

Andy: I’d like to- wait…

Daniel: What’s wrong?

Uncle Ben: I know that look.

Andy: Martin, come here.

Sam: Uh…

Andy: What have we got here?

Josh: Busted!

*Squeaky footsteps* Shit.

*Mom laughed*

Andy: Hey girls, I know you’re dying to know but you can’t, I’m sorry. I don’t mean to rain on your parade, but you can’t know… Yet… I know it’s you, squirt! Good trick, but not smart enough. *chuckles* Not smart enough.

My face fell, “Well, it’s something.”

“So close!” She cursed, “Your brother’s a genius!”

“If he repeated himself, then we would’ve figured it out!”

“Well,” She shrugged, “At least we tried.”

“What does your sister mean?”

“I don’t know.”

“What kind of Christmas is this?”

“One of a kind.” She suppressed a chuckle. “Maybe we’ll have to wait patiently until the right time comes.”

“If that time comes.” I corrected, “He’s unpredictable.”