Fix It

I ran and ended up in the corner of the hallway. The same place where I sat two years ago. The place where I listened to mom and Andy fight. The place where I broke down in tears as the heavy world sat on my shoulders. My knees buckled and I plopped on the floor. My breath was quick with guilt and fear. I folded my legs and buried my face on my hands. They won’t even bother to look for me. If they did, they would murder me. That sentence came across my mind. I stayed like this for about twenty minutes, and I’ll stay like this for as long as I want.            

            “Ally?” I heard a voice but I was sure that it wasn’t one of them, especially Mark. “What are you doing here?”

            I lifted my head up, “Hey, doc.”

            He sat next to me and studied my face, “What’s wrong?”

            “I did something.” I admitted, “And I am feeling really guilty about it.”

            He paused to let the moment sink in, “What did you do?”

            “He’s mad at me and I know it.” I was on the verge of crying,

            He lifted my chin up, “Who’s mad at you?”           

            “Mark… Mark’s mad at me.”

            “Why?” He carefully asked,           

            “Because…” I hesitated, “Because he found out that I saw Isom and he got angry because they didn’t let him see Isom and he kept asking me why and I got scared because I’ve never seen him this mad before and he kept stepping forward and I kept stepping backwards until I hit the wall and then I slapped him.” I spilled under one breath,

            He pulled me to his warm chest, “How did he find out?”

            “I don’t know, he just did.” I sniffled, “I saw those eyes of his and ran off. Why am I so stupid?”

            He stroked my arm, “No, you’re not stupid. Don’t you ever say that because you are not, okay?”

            “I just slapped my own best friend. It’s like slapping your own big brother, which is just horrible.”

            “There’s a reason to it.”

            “But he-” My breath caught,            

            “He what?”

            “He doesn’t see it.”

            “Where is he? I’ll talk to him.”

            “Are you sure?”

            “I am sure. Now, come on.” He pulled away and stood up, pulling me with him. “I don’t want to see my girlfriend crying on the floor. You’re stronger than that.”

            I slouched on the wall with his face inches away from mine, “Ryan, your phone’s vibrating.”

            “I know, it’s probably dad.”

            “You should take it, he might be looking for you.”

            He picked his phone without moving an inch, “Hey, dad… Sorry, but I’m busy… Yea, maybe some other time… Bye…”