It Happened

Something made my heart stop and my stomach flipped. Something that I never expected it to happen, it never even crossed my mind, I think. Isom Innis has stopped shaking his beloved maracas. I can see from how his shoulders move up and down that he was breathing heavily. They were in the middle of the last song, but I think they wouldn’t be able to finish it. The first thing that came across my mind was that this couldn’t happen in front of thousands. I asked Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, “Do you guys think that Isom’s acting a little weird?”

“I’ve been burying that in my mind since he arrived here!” Larry exclaimed,

“He IS acting a little different.” Joe tapped his chin, “Is he okay?”

“He’s been really, uh, tired lately.” I said, it’s technically not a lie.

“I’ve never seen him stop shaking the maracas.”

“Hey, Larry.” I called, “Where does this microphone go?”

“To the earpieces.”

“So they could hear me if I say something?”

“Yup.” Then he snapped his head at me, “What are you thinking? I’ve heard some things about you.”

“It’s about Isom… I mean it.”

“What about Isom?”

I hesitated, “My boyfriend told me something.”

“You’re boyfriend?”

“He’s a doctor in training.”

The both of them looked at me with wide eyes, “What did he say to you?” Joe blurted,

“Something’s wrong with Isom.” I paused, “His heart’s… Uh… Yea…”

“Are you sure?”

“I am sure.”

“Okay, so what are we going to do?”

“We’re going to have to cut the concert short.”

Larry handed the microphone to me, “I’ve heard things about you and things like this, so go do your thing.”

I gingerly took the microphone and got to work. The fad me was taking this as mission impossible while the pessimistic me was taking it as a life and death matter. So I got to work, “If you can hear me, do the following: Mark, run your hand through your hair. Cubbie, wipe your forehead. Pontius, spin the drumstick on your right hand. Sean, ruffle your hair. Isom, thumbs up.” They all did what I told them to do, but Isom didn’t. I knew he could hear me but he just couldn’t do it.

“This is bad.” Joe murmured softly,

“Listen, guys.” I slowly said, “I’m going to have to cut the concert… I’m sorry.”

Mark snapped his head at my direction with his face twisted with confusion, as if to say why the fuck would you do that? Out of all the concerts we’ve had, why this one?

“If all of you would be smart enough to look at Isom.” I scoffed. Thankfully, they did and signaled me to go on. “I’m going to shut all the lights and sounds down and I want all of you to stay still. Guys, this is a rescue mission.”

“Here’s a flashlight.” Joe handed it to me,

I smiled, “You’ve read my mind. Thanks.”

“Go, kid.”

“Shut all of it when I give the signal.”

“Got it.” The both of them gave me an ‘ok’ sign.