Car Talks

Cubbie’s way of waking me up is annoyingly unique. He started doing this since last year’s new year. I would get my revenge, but I never got to catch him asleep. He’s good, I tell ya. He would pinch my nose until my eyes shoot open. That’s cruel, but effective. Unfortunately, I would smack him-in the face if he’s unlucky- toss around and fall back asleep. If that fails, he’ll wet his hand with deadly cold water and wipes it all over my face. Thankfully, a pinch in the nose was enough to wake me up today. “Hey, you’re back. How was it?”

            Nate was comfortably fast asleep on Cubbie’s chest, “Great.”

            I sat up, “Yea, we had a great time too. Thanks for asking.”

            He snickered, “I’m sorry.”

            “Ryan left because he has a morning shift tomorrow.”

            “I was about to ask you that.”

            “Why am I not surprised?” I rolled my eyes, “Where’s Rebecca?”           

            “I send her to bed, she has to go out of town before the sun rises.”

            “Stop exaggerating.”

            “I mean it.” I dropped his shoulders, “I’m going to tuck Nate in, and then I’ll drive you home.”

            “I’m going to take my phone in his room.” I stood up and trudged towards his room with Cubbie behind me. I found my phone on the floor where Nate and I talked earlier. It made me replay the conversation that we had, I felt awkward again. I had a slightly serious conversation with a two year old. I watched Cubbie tuck Nate in and nearly cried, talk about cuteness overload. He delicately put Nate in his crib, afraid to wake him up. He would be cranky if he wakes up; I’ve witnessed that tragedy.

            “Ally?” Cubbie was suddenly in front of me, “Are you okay?”

            I blinked, “Yea, I’m okay.”

            “Come on.” He turned me and guided me outside. “Oh, thanks for keeping an eye on him.”

            “Don’t mention it.”

            “He wasn’t cranky right?”

            “He was good.”

            “I’m sorry if he was. He’d be kicking and screaming.”           

            “Yea, I’ve seen that.”

            “That’s just plain annoying.”

            “Well, what do you expect from a two year old? You probably used to behave like that too.”

            “I’m going to have to ask my dad about that.” He snickered,

            “By the way, Nate got along with Ryan pretty quickly.” I reported,

            “I’m surprised.”

            “Me too.”

It was a silent drive for the first few minutes, but Cubbie later came up with something to talk to. He always comes up with something to talk to, but he looks like the guy who just doesn’t talk too much. Sometimes it’s not worth listening to, sometimes it’s interesting, and sometimes it’s deep. He would make me spill all the things that were bothering me out and he will then start talking.