Thoughts And Memories

At the airport later that day, I bought this little teddy bear for Nate. You’re probably wondering who in the fucking world is Nate, so I’ll tell you. It was his birthday last week, so I’m buying him something to make it up to him. He turned two that day and I missed it, but I called him to say happy birthday. I have babysat that kid ever since he wiggled out of the womb- okay, uh, that sounded disgusting. You could say that we got along well, thankfully, because I’ve seen him get cranky once. He’s this bundle of energy and a potato at the same time, it’s weird but aren’t people weird? Okay, I’ll get straight to the point. Nate is- hold on to your seats- the offspring of Jacob ‘Cubbie’ Fink.

Throughout the whole flight, I kept thinking about the fact that Andy got engaged right in front of my innocent eyes. I, who has witness his attempts with female homo sapiens, never expected him to do this, even though that I knew that this day would one day come. I’m happy for him, he’s finally happy, inside and out. Then I started to think, Andy is leaving. He’s going to move out of his apartment and into a house. He’s going to get busy with new things to worry about. He has his own life, and no one is going to tell him what to do. Dad is not here; he’s going to face it all by himself.

I remember back when Andy was only around fourteen, he asked Uncle Ben this abrupt question. That surprised Uncle Ben, but he still managed to answer it. That day, he came to Uncle Ben, who was watching the television seriously and spilled it. Eight year old me was next to him, blankly staring at my curious brother. He asked, “How do I know if a girl’s the right one?”

Uncle Ben suppressed a chuckle, “Did you get yourself a girlfriend?”

“I think so.”

“You need to be sure about it.”

“Yea, I got myself a girlfriend.” He strongly stated,

“Okay, hotshot, what do you think?”

“That’s why I’m asking you.”

“Tell me about her.”

“She’s beautiful.” He simply said, “People say she’s weird, but I say she’s beautiful.”

“What makes the rest say that?”

“I don’t know, I don’t see any weirdness in her.”

“People have different ways of seeing things, but I like how you see things differently. Tell me, what makes her beautiful?”

            “Everything.”

“Everything?”

He nodded, “Every single living cell in her.”

“You need to trust your gut feeling.”

“My gut feeling?” He asked unsurely,

“Yes, your gut feeling.”

“Uh, okay.”

“Your old man should hear you say this, he’s going to be proud.”

Andy shifted his weight uncomfortably, “I guess so.”

“You know what he’ll say to you?”

“What?”

“Don’t let her down.”

Two months later, he came back with another question. It was a contrast question, compared to his previous question. This time, Uncle Ben was helping me do my homework. He flopped next to him and sighed, “What seems to be the problem, champ?” Uncle Ben nudged him,

“Can I ask you a question?”

“Sure thing, bud.”

“What do I do when I make her mad?”