Chapter Six

~Astra~

I quickly hide behind a nearby pillar and crouch down close to the floor.

Damn it! How did they find him so fast?!

I edge out as much as I dare and listen to snippets of conversation that reached me.

"Well, brah?! Out wit it! Where's da she devil?!"

Wonderful...hunters and religious fanatics.  Those two traits are  a dangerous combination.  I scan the rest of the lobby and saw several tourists, including children, lying on the floor. All their expressions were identical...fear.

I pat myself down. I know that I brought gear with me. How unfortunate that this outfit leaves so little space to work with. I should've gone with a different disguise.

A few smoke screen marbles, mini flash bombs,  a small dagger, and one handgun. Only one clip and it's already loaded. This doesn't bode well....

My cell is vibrating strongly. I don't bother to check. It's him. It's his fault that I'm in this predicament.

Honestly, Berengar. Such poor timing. I'm certain that I could've persuaded Conrad to come with me had it not been for his unwanted interference.  My scowl grew deeper with my irritation.

Peering out, I spy Conrad. He's pale. Responses are full of what was clearly terror. How could things go so wrong? If only I had arrived just a little sooner.  I might've been able to get him out before any of this had occurred. There were too many innocents involved now.

"Look, man...I don't know who you're talking about! I came here alone."

Alone? Why is he shielding me? Surely all that brainwashing from the CIA should've compelled him to turn me in without hesitation. 

...He thinks there after Laura. That makes sense. The wealthy are often targets for kidnappings. Honestly, how did he end up dating a Tagle? I wonder if he even realizes the enormity of his girlfriend's financial status. My cell buzzes louder than before and I silence it swiftly. Are they trying to get me caught?! I peek at the screen. An ETA for an extraction point...and it's not far from here. 

I hear Conrad grunt in pain. One of the hunters has his foot on Conrad's chest with his pistol pointing at him. ...Smith and Wessen. Too far to make out anything else for certain.

"Tell me where she is, boy. Or I start shootin' limbs off."

That's definitely a country dialect. I can't pinpoint from where...Midwest?

Thunder and the frightened screams of the other hostages fills the room. I spin around.

Conrad! Was he hit?!

Conrad laid on his side in the fetal position with his arms shielding his face.

He is unharmed... for now. It won't be long before one of them seriously injures him.

Another message flashes on my screen. I really wish they would stop messaging me. Ten minutes huh?

I took the first safety off my gun and tuck it into its holster hidden underneath my jacket.

I have to act now. I hold up two of the clear blue marbles.

I'm not leaving without him!

I roll them towards the small group of men surrounding Conrad.  Unsheathing the small dagger, I readied it in my hand as I ran towards the group. The marbles explode and engulf the lobby in thick, clouds of black smoke.