Chapter Fifteen

~Data~

I lay on the floor and gaze up at the cosmos that consume the entire lab. The tile feels cool against my bare skin. I watch the projection of the false night sky.  It shifts and changes. Hues of blue and purple shift to green and black and back. Ever expanding.  Ever changing. That's what the universe is. What's left in the aftermath are beings scrambling to gather the pieces of the familiar...something to at least hold on to. The only constant are the stars burning brightly throughout it all. Enduring. Always...enduring. Until they flicker out.

I close my eyes and chuck the eight bit bow on the desk behind me. 

I hate that thing. ...And I love it.

I reach out for it frantically and examine it for damage. There's no replacing this.  A hunk of red plastic that has come to mean so much.... It was the first gift I received when I enrolled at the academy here.

The room floods with light and I shield my eyes. "Turn the lights off!"

Darkness consumes me again. I see a silhouette in the doorway. Berengar. Of course. I roll my eyes with irritation.

I hiss, "What do you want?"

"Sorry to disturb you, Data. Your presence has been requested in the boardroom. The Director would like you to bring the prisoner."

I thought my role was done already. Why do they keep dragging me into this? I already did as they asked. I'm not a field agent. Still...I can't refuse a summons from The Director.

"May I ask why I've been asked to do such a menial task? Surely a guard could do it."

Berengar leans against the door. "Are you questioning a direct order from a superior?"

"You  are not my superior. Perhaps physically. But certainly not your mind."

"I am delivering a message from your superior. Go and fetch the boy."

I knew it was too dark for him to see my smile. I can't help giving him a hard time. It's too easy to get under his skin. Berengar probably knows about as much as Conrad does. I sat up and take a swig from the bottle next to me. Regretting I had not drank more as I stood up. I raise my arms and go into a deep stretch.

"I'll take my leave now."

He walks away a little too quickly. I laugh jovially. I had told him to turn off the lights for a reason.

"A mirror please", I ask in my sweetest voice as I walk into my room adjacent to my lab.

I already hear my chair making its way to me. I step into my massive closet and start shifting through clothing. Even I was impressed by the size of my closet. It's a beautiful sight and would fill any girl with envy. 

Shoes of nearly every style, color, and make. And clothing. Endless amounts of clothing. It's worth it to stay in shape just to wear all these beautiful things. And there is still make up to consider.

What should I wear? Maybe an academy uniform? I haven't worn this in years but it should still fit. Or maybe I should go for sweet Lolita? Or punk rock? Oooooouuuuuu or I can go as a sexy lab tech. The leather skirt feels smooth between my fingers.

I stifle a chuckle as I thought of Conrad's reaction to seeing such a lovely young woman wearing this. Bet he's never seen Astra in anything like that. ...it would've probably made him happier though.

It hit me then. Damn it. The stiffs will be there. 

I groan. Which means no dress up. 

I sigh. Oh well.

I have more leeway with the dress code than most. I think I'll go with the uniform. My stockings can still be fun. They can't be too upset at me with that. It's curious that they want me to go and escort Conrad.

I feel a grin spreading on my face. Are they trying to lure him into a false sense of comfort? Send a familiar face to reassure him all will be well. That thought alone makes me giggle uncontrollably.

I'll play along. I would like to see how this ends. Poor Astra...she tried so valiantly to save that boy and instead brought him to the jaws of Cerebus.

***********************************************************************

Thank you so much for to every person who has read up to this point. Please continue to follow Conrad and see what mess Astra has dragged him into. Poor girl. She really just wanted to help him. Also please know that the story will toggle between Conrad and Data's POV and there will occasionally be chapters from Astra's.

Please vote if you like to story. And as always you can post any thoughts, comments, criticism my way or send a message. Feel free to point out spelling errors or improper use of tense.