Chapter Twenty-One

This chapter is dedicated to@Heidi7849155.  My very first wattpad fan! Thank you for your continued interest in my story! Go and check out her stuff too. I find her stories to be very creative and entertaining!!

~Conrad~

Calm down, calm down, calm down. Don't panic. My hands are shaking. Or maybe my body is.

Come on, Conrad! Calm down. Panicking makes you do stupid things.

I pace around the small bright room, feeling around the walls, the corners. Pushing down on random spots. There has to be a trigger, a switch, something. I can't possibly be stuck here.

How long have I been in here? Has it only been a few minutes or a few hours? I'm not sure. I'll be fine. I'll figure something out.

But the more I gaze around, the less likely that seems. It's becoming difficult to breathe. How much air is in this room? Could I be running out of air?

Fuck you, Data. You locked me in here!

The walls are cool to the touch, even though they're luminescent.  I keep walking around, leaving my hand on the wall. They're smooth; it's comforting in a way...as comforting as being confined in a tiny room could be. I see the darkness encroaching on my vision. The panic is slowly setting in, spreading from the pit of my stomach to the rest of my body.  At least it's not dark in here.

I stop.

Something felt different. I leave my left hand where it is and place my right on the next closest wall. I grope it with my fingers.

Something's definitely off. I'm sure it didn't feel like this a moment ago. It's smooth but different. It feels...thinner almost. It feels like ceramic. It has the same smoothness and texture as the other walls but...this felt almost breakable.

I punch the wall as hard as I can and I hear a satisfying crack. I open my eyes and see the crack forming spider web patterns. I kick the wall as hard as I can with my foot, stomping repeatedly on it.

And to my surprise, it caves in. There is now a gaping black hole. Perfect darkness. The light from the room doesn't pierce it. I gulp nervously. My palms were sweaty. I wipe them on my pants and press forward into the darkness.

I can't see forward or back now. Despite leaving a room full of bright light, I can't see it anymore. I had only taken a few steps since then. How is that possible?

I roll my eyes. Why am I even asking? Magic. How terrifying.

I keep walking forward, hands out, trying my best to feel my way through. The air in here is cold and dry. It's beginning to hurt my throat. My legs are growing heavy. It's getting harder to keep moving.

From exhaustion? How long have I been walking? My sense of time has become twisted since all this started. It feels so long ago. Since I was about to eat what looked like would've been the best damn brunch I've ever had. Since I had seen Laura's smiling face. Since Astra ruined my life.

No...that's not fair. I thought of Astra's genuinely concerned eyes, the warmth of her hand in mine as she pulled me into a circle of heavily armed CIA agents. Well I think it was CIA. She said it was CIA but I guess it could've been some other government branch. Yeah...that's not such a great memory.  

I sat down in the darkness and leaned back against a wall. It's weird...why am I not scared? I am but not the level of terror that I felt at the hotel and I'm wandering blindly through solid darkness. My eyes lids feel weighted and I feel such pleasure each time I blink and they are temporarily closed.