Chapter Fourteen

~Conrad~

After a little hesitation, I follow Astra and Rainbow Girl even though I have a sinking feeling in my stomach. It didn't matter at this point though. I'm already too far into this. I doubt these people would just let me leave. And Astra had once again over exerted herself to save me from death. I couldn't just leave her. The inside of this military-esque car is way bigger than I imagined. It reminds me of Astra's mustang except I couldn't see the sky above. No fish bowl effect for this car I guess.

I look at the front where Bear Ringer is situated and seems to be the designated driver. The console has the same concept as Astra's. They must be utilizing the same technology for both cars. This confirms it for me. Astra definitely knows these people. Or she is related to them somehow. It makes me feel a little better. 

...Very  little.

Astra is lying on her stomach on a flatbed on the opposite wall of me. It looks like a hospital bed to me. I took a seat on the one attached to my wall. But I couldn't find any chains attaching it to the wall or poles coming out of the floor. I see Rainbow Girl busying herself at a counter full of tubes of multi colored liquids towards the back. She turns and comes toward Astra with a syringe full of blue liquid. A black medical bag rolls after her. My heart seizes for a moment. 

They wouldn't hurt her, would they?

As Rainbow Girl is about to inject it into her neck, she stops an inch away from her skin. She backs away and sighs.

"Astra, this is to put you to sleep, not kill you. Dear Magi, I'm just trying to treat your wound!"

Astra sat up with difficulty. Her eyes blazing with distrust. Rainbow Girl meets her glare evenly.

"I didn't see an exit wound which means the bullet is still in you. I don't know what you did before you got here but your body isn't even putting itself back together as it should. I'm just trying to help."

Astra's pale face shifts slightly to me. "Are you injured?"

Her voice is meek but her tone is pretty even. I gesture at my knee.

"Besides that?"

I shake my head. Part of me is too afraid to speak. All of today's events are sinking into me and I am most definitely not taking it well. The trembling is beginning to spread. It's too cold in here and I rub my arms to try to keep warm.

Rainbow follows Astra's gaze and her eyes rest on me. "...I see."

She turns back to Astra. "Astra, I promise that I won't let anything happen to Conrad while you're under."

Astra's face is full of hesitance but I'm not deaf or blind. I heard what Rainbow had said about Astra.

"Astra, I'll be fine. But you need to get that bullet out."

Astra grips Rainbow's shoulder. "You swear to Magi?"

She nodded.

"I need to hear you say it."

Astra's statement sounded strong and like she was pleading at the same time.

"I swear to Magi. No harm will come to Conrad while you are unconscious. That good enough for you?"

I hear Rainbow impatiently tapping her foot. Astra lays back down, appeased. Rainbow injects the liquid into Astra's arm.  She makes eye contact with me. I heard a whisper in my head.

I'm sorry for this. I promise I will protect you.

Then Astra's warm cinnamon brown eyes flutter close. That was  Astra I just heard, wasn't it?