Chapter Twelve

~????~

I admire my freshly painted nails and mentally pat myself on the back for managing to make it the exact same shade as my baby blue stockings. I gaze at myself in the mirror as I fix my hair into a high ponytail. So that Astra would be able to see my newly dyed hair. The top layer of my hair a stunning galaxy and the bottom layer a shockingly bright rainbow. I enjoyed the contrast.

Bobbing my head in the rhythm of the pop song playing in the backgrounds. Mouthing the words as if I were belting the song out.

I can see out of my corner of my eye, Berengar throwing me disapproving looks. I roll my eyes.

"What", I snap at him.

"I didn't say anything."

"You don't have to because I have eyes. What is your problem?"

"I don't have one."

I began applying mascara to my eyelashes. It helps make my dark brown eyes pop. I did well choosing this outfit and I can't help but admire myself. I am a very pretty girl after all.

"Do you have to do that right now?"

I turn to him with a mock expression of hurt. "Do what?"

"Put on make-up. It's not necessary right now. We have an agent that has possibly gone rouge and you're over here painting yourself with crayons."

I scoff. "You know nothing of make-up. These 'crayons' are called eyeliners. They're just different colors."

I stand up and smooth out my gray pleated skirt. I walk towards the back where there's more space and began to stretch, not caring if Berengar was watching or not. I had shorts under this skirt for a reason.

"And why did you choose to wear that ridiculous outfit?"

My black flowy top slightly slipped off my left shoulder and showed just the right amount of cleavage. I will admit my skirt is a little on the short side but I had shorts underneath and I had on the stockings. I don't know what he is getting so upset about.

I did a twirl and asked, "What's wrong with it?"

"What's wrong is that it's inappropriate for field work. You should be wearing combat gear. Or something a little more inconspicuous. You already stand out because there aren't a lot of Indians in this area."

I look in the mirror again. The stockings especially complimented my dark caramel skin. I felt irritation flare up in me.

"So it's my  fault if people are bigots?"

Berengar stands up and I take a moment to appreciate him. He may be terrible company but there was no denying that he was dreamy to look at.

His smoky grey eyes, cropped jet black hair, his toned tanned body. Not that I can see too much of it through his uniform. Black long sleeved muscle shirt, black pants, boots, yada yada. Maybe a faint outline of his abs. Damn him for having sexy abs. Sure it was easy to move in. I had helped re-design those uniforms after all but they're not cute to wear.

"What I'm saying is that I don't think you are taking this as seriously as you should be."

I huff heatedly and point at my strawberry cupcake purse, "I am too! I developed this, didn't I?"

He eyes the bag skeptically, "Are you even sure it will work? It's never been tested."

How infuriating!! Daring to question my work.

...Still. It's not like the Order hadn't considered that.

"No, it hasn't."

I stroll past him and take my seat again. I reach into my bag and pull out an eight-bit red bow. Smiling at him through the reflection as I clip the bow right in front where the elastic held my hair in place.

"That's why you're here, isn't it? In case it fails."

His face became dour in the reflection. I had heard rumors about his closeness to Astra. But I wasn't sure how far it went. Not far enough to disobey orders. That never happens. Still felt a little pang of guilt in my chest. I didn't like that my jab had caused his mood to drop.

"Hey! Cheer up, glum glum. It won't come to that."

I gesture to my purse. "I don't think it will even come to that."

Berengar's face became stony.

I wave away the mirror and it fades into the darkness. I face him. "I think that this is just a huge misunderstanding. We aren't going to have to fight Astra. I'll admit this is uncharacteristic of her but there might be a really good reason for all of this."

"Astra already had a second chance. The Order doesn't give out thirds."

They weren't supposed to give her a second chance either. I guess being a favorite had its perks.

An alarm starts blaring inside of our transport. A mechanical female voice announces an incoming transport.

I pull out the display from the dashboard and read the transport identification.

"It's Astra. It has to be."

Berengar has already opened the door to jump out of the transport. He offers his hand to me as I hop down as well. Taking the military transport has its benefits but the jump down always scared me. It felt too high for me.

Berengar is already checking to make sure his multiple guns were loaded.

I sigh. He didn't listen to a word I said inside. Or maybe he didn't believe me.

I felt the transport's arrival before I saw it. Gusts of wind pick up and begin to howl. Static electricity crackling to a near deafening level. Berengar moves protectively in front of me to shield me from the worst of it.

I shield my eyes. Only uncovering them when I feel the calm around me and my skirt had stop flapping with the wind. Yeah, that was a good call on the shorts.

An old white mustang sits a few feet in front of us. It's appears empty. But I know better. I head over and knock on the driver's side window.

We wait for a few minutes. No answer.

Hmmm....

"Give me a boost, Berengar", I order as I walk back to our transport.

He kneels by the transport and forms a step with his hands. I place my foot in his hand and find a grip inside to pull me the rest of the way.

"I'm going to hack her transport."