Chapter Seventeen

~Astra~

I loathe this room. I have only been here twice, counting today. It was a room most never even dared to whisper about.  ...the Chamber of Arima. I kneel before the Seven Elders sitting on large oversized thrones in the shadows. All of them wearing white masks with different markings etched in silver.

I only recognize one of the Elders. The Director, Aristotle, sat at the center in a prim blue pinstriped suit with matching lighter blue accents. He rubs the temples of his forehead. He has been quiet this entire time, allowing the silence to stretch until it became almost unbearable. The Elders will not speak until he does though I can feel their reproachful glares through their masks.

I know I am in a grave situation. My concern for Conrad surpasses any I have for myself. I will live.... Conrad's fate is far more uncertain.

Aristotle's deep baritone voice echoed through the room.  "I had hoped...", Aristotle removes his mask and places it neatly on his lap, "I would never see you in this room again. I shielded you from the brunt of Magi's wrath once. I cannot do so again. One can only claim ignorance once. Once."

Shame and sorrow spread through me as he removed his mask. This is how deep his disappointment in me ran. I haven't forgotten how he had aided me. I had not asked for it though...I would've preferred to face the same fate as him.  ...I can't even allow myself to speak his name in my thoughts. Just like that time...this is my entire fault.

I should've properly worked out what to do with Conrad after I had saved him. I was too hasty. I had acted without thinking. All that had consumed me was fear. Fear of losing someone else....

"Agent Astra, do you know why you have been brought before the Council?"

I force myself to keep my voice steady. "I am aware that I have failed to follow our laws."

A female Elder spoke from Aristotle's right. "So you admit to willfully and wantonly breaking our laws? Knowing fully well the consequences it could have on the Order?"

I take a deep breath and answer, "...Yes."

Silence again. I am no fool though. They are debating amongst themselves silently and blocking me from reading their thoughts. The masks conceal their faces so I could not even read their facial expression except for Aristotle. His face is as impassive as stone.

"What you have committed is blasphemy in the face of Magi!", a male Elder yells from the far left.

All at once it seemed the Elders felt intent on sharing their thoughts. After a while, I could not keep track of who was speaking.

"This is an act of treason", a female Elder cried out.

Another male Elder spoke, "A shameless disregard for our laws and our ways. She is a threat to our very way of life. She must be dealt with accordingly."

"Yes! Make an example of her. So the Hive knows what it means to violate our laws."

I can't hear them anymore. I turn my face downward and stare at the ground. I know they're screaming at me and at each other. But I can't hear them. It doesn't matter what happens to me. I had expected as much for leaving my assignment unfinished. All I can think of is Conrad. A burning sensation stings my eyes and my chest feels tight. I can't breathe deeply enough.

...What will they do to him?

I hear the doors behind me creak open loudly. An overly cheerful voice announces her presence.

"Yoo-hoo! Sorry we're late. Agent Data and Conrad reporting to the Council."

Horror courses through my body. I completely tense up, alarm stiffening my hands and make my kneeling position feel far too constrained. It takes a great deal to turn my head ever so slightly to see Conrad stoop down a few feet away from me with Data. She spots me staring and throws me a calculating smile.

Why have they brought him here?

...No! Not again. Please!