Chapter Nineteen

~Conrad~

I don't dare turn away from the blade rushing to meet me. I hear Astra screaming something but I can't make out the words. Or maybe I'm screaming.

Every single sense consumes me. Stills of memories are flashing, moving too quickly that I can only see every other one. But I can touch, taste, feel every memory as it slips past me into darkness.

Laura...Grandma...Dad...Mom...Astra...her blood soaking through my shirt as I struggle to carry her limp body....

It disappears into the recess of darkness before I can take a second look. ...The playback is over. It's over.

I'm dead. I'm such a coward.

My eyes close. The sharp clang of the blade hitting something solid and then metallic scraping the floor somewhere close by me.

I open my eyes.

I'm still alive. I don't know if I can keep dealing with this.

It's like the Grim Reaper can't make up his mind.

(I would start the music here)

Bear Ringer looks furious. He turns around and then immediately bows with his head touching the stone floor. I look and see the others scurrying away from their seats and down the steps to assume the same low bow as Bear Ringer. Even Data has done the same near Bear Ringer.

Wha-

Astra's warm arms encircle me in a protective embrace as she glares fiercely at the only Elder who had remained standing. A tall slender woman wearing a black evening gown that hugged her body too closely with skirts reaching to the floor, a slit in the black skirt revealed a layer of dark purple tulle. She daintily picks up her skirts and slowly descends the steps that separate us from her.

I retreat a little more into Astra's arms as I see her predominantly white mask changing into a luminescent gold and even the silver markings seem to be shifting as well. The air is thick with apprehension and fear. Even I sense something is off with this Elder. Such an oppressive presence...this definitely wasn't here before.

I start the breathing exercise again. Now is not the time to become unhinged.

I breathe in.

Everything will be fine.

Out. One step closer.

Liar.

Breathe in.

Everything will work out.

Out. Another step towards us.

Liar.

Breathe in.

I'm not going to die.

Says you.

Distract yourself. Think of other things.

Wasn't the Director in charge? Yet Aristotle was trembling and about to kiss the damn floor. The Elder came to a stop right before us. She drops her skirts and reaches a hand out to me.

"What treat have you brought me, my precious child?"

Her seductive and sultry voice takes me by surprise. I thought she would sound...I don't know...more severe. I feel Astra's hold on me grow tighter.

She titters. "Stand before me, young man. I would like a better look into those eyes."

I don't want to. This lady frightens me for some reason. Maybe because everyone seems ready to pee on themselves.