Chapter Thirteen

~Conrad~

I'm floating. My body is weightless. I'm awake and yet somehow asleep. I can still see even though my eyes are closed. It's a strange sensation. I can see Astra floating as well. The straps of her seat restraining her from going too high. But I didn't have any restraints. I had never put them on, which I now sorely regret. I'm way too close to the ceiling of the car. But my mind is being pulled in so many directions I don't know what to think.

I keep replaying today's events in my head. The mundanely normal start to this bizarre situation I'm now in. Something keeps bothering me. Like an itch that you can't scratch enough. A tickle that won't turn into a laugh. What is bothering me? It's so hard to think like this. I feel hazy and disoriented. Yet peaceful and relaxed. I can't put my finger on it.

Then I stop the memory in my mind as its flashing through. It was something I hadn't placed much thought on because it's hard to absorb everything when you think you're going to get shot.

...Astra. Her eyes. Her eyes were glowing gold. And the rain and the wind...none of it was touching her in that moment. And...did she shout at me...because I don't remember seeing her mouth move. But she shouted at me. I remember her shouting at me.

...How could she stop the rain from touching her...and the wind? It doesn't make sense. It's not possible. But I did see it...didn't I? Am I making things up? Is my head screwing with me again?Am I distracting myself from what happened by adding magic to what happened? Because that's the only likely explanation. I continue to float. ...Breathing in and out, in and out....

Then I felt the floor hard on my back.

I grunt in pain but I'm waking up. Trying to get my bearings, I stand up. My head is pounding. I see sunlight and then a hand violently rips me from the car and I'm eating dirt.

I cough, spitting up what I had swallowed. "What the hell?"

Once again, I stare at a barrel of a gun. This one has a much longer barrel. I barely register a man with black hair standing before me.

"Wai-"

I briefly feel a tug on my leg. He pulls the trigger and the bullet barely misses me. I am somehow a few feet away from where I just was. I'm wide awake now. All the hazy, dreamy thoughts gone from my head.

HE TRIED TO KILL ME!

Astra steps in front of me. When did she get out of the car?

"Astra! Your leg!"

I see that the wound has bled through the makeshift bandage she had made with her jacket. Her eyes glowing gold again. I take a better look at my almost murderer.

He's built. He looks like a bodyguard for politicians. His dark hair was short, professional looking. In his right hand a silver gun with a very long barrel. His eyes seething with uncontained rage.

(I would play the video here. ;D)

"You would dare use your blessing against me!"

I can't see Astra's face but her back tenses slightly. Does she know him?

I feel my eyes widen with shock as his irises began to glow gold.

WHAT THE HELL?! HE CAN DO IT TOO! Have I stumbled upon a race of humans with superpowers!

Astra roughly pulls me further away from the man with glowing eyes.  I barely hear her whispering hiss to stay put.

I blink my eyes and they're both gone. I blink again and they've reappeared. Grappling on the ground, both of them unarmed. I blink and Astra has somehow moved behind him and her arm around his neck with her legs wrapped around his chest.