Chapter Twenty

~Conrad~

Data has been talking the entire time she led me...somewhere. I'm just following her. I'm not even sure where I'm going. I guess back to my room. I've only processed half of what she has said and everything I did hear has left me with far more questions than answers.

She stops short and turns around. "Conrad, are you even listening to me?! This is serious. You're progress will be measured up against an average student's progress."

I'm so annoyed. What does she mean by student? I'm sick of this. I didn't sign up for this. I didn't ask for any of this. I'm tired of being chewed out for every little thing I don't know.

Hands on her hips, she cocks her head to the side. "I realize this is a lot to take in so I hope you're a fast learner."

She places her hand on the wall and the area underneath her palm glows a bright yellow. A door that wasn't there before appears and slides open. She gestures for me to follow her...up a staircase? I guess we've been underground all this time? Which means the sunlight from the window in my room must've been an illusion? Or a hologram?

My head is hurting and I try massaging my temples to ease the throbbing.

It's too much...all of this is too much. What the hell is she saying? That I'm going to be a student here? What the hell? I didn't sign up for this!

I don't understand anything! I'm not staying here. I can't.

I won't.

"Conrad!"

Data's sharp tone snaps me from my thoughts and I retort back. "What?!"

Her eyes narrow in response and she walks down the steps until the staircase evens out our height and she is a few inches away from my face. And despite how short she is, I'm intimidated by the authority radiating from her.

She sighs dramatically and closes her eyes. "Look. I get it, ok? You didn't ask to be here but you're stuck now. It's better if you just forget."

Data turns around and continues walking up the steps.

I'm caught off guard by her unexpected sympathy. But....

"What do you mean by forget?"

She gazes down at me, eyes cloudy with sadness. "Forget everything you knew before you came here. ...It's easier that way."

I follow her up. "So I'm just supposed to pretend that I don't have family...."

A few more steps....

"Or friends...or a girlfriend...or a life?"

As soon as I see a way out, I'm out.

Data replies cheerfully, "I'm glad you're catching on so quickly. There's hope for you yet."

We reach a large gaping chasm where a platform suspended by nothing is beyond our reach. But Data doesn't falter and keeps walking forward.

"Don't!"

I close my eyes and brace for her fading screams as she falls into a bottomless abyss. But I hear nothing.

"Come on, Conrad", Data's amused voice reaches my ears.

So she's not dead. I gape at her as she is literally standing on air. Impatiently, she grabs my wrist and pulls me forward. Immediately, I resist.

"Hey stop! This isn't funny. I don't know how to fly!"

She is way stronger than she looks and she yanks me into the chasm with her. I scream as I fall face forward into something hard. Data's vibrant laugh fills the space around.

"Damn, Conrad. You are a trip. You know that?"

It's solid? I feel the floor that isn't here with my palms. There is definitely something solid here. Invisible stairs? ...More magic? What is this cult really capable of?

That's when I see it. A door suspended further up in the air.

This is it...My moment...

And then Data is crouched in front of me on all fours. She gazes intently into my eyes.

Sighing, she stands up. "Go."

What?

"I can see it in your eyes. You're a runner. And quite frankly, I don't feel like chasing you."

She starts examining her nails, though I don't know how since it's pretty dark in here.

"...Are you letting me go?"

Data rolls her eyes. "I'm not doing anything. You want to take the chance then go for it."

I straighten myself up. "You mean it?"

My eyes dart to the door and then her. "You won't stop me."

She says nothing and I bolt forwards. Climbing upwards until I reach the door. It's open! YES! I'm out of here!

I run forward into the blinding white light and wait for my eyes to adjust to the sunlight. But there was no sunlight in this brightly lit room. It was a dead end.

"What?"

"I should've explained myself better."

I turn around to see Data leaning on the door frame, still looking at her nails.

Her voice full of disinterest, "I'm not doing anything to stop you because I don't have to. But I guess you'll learn that the hard way."

And with that she slams the door and I watch as the seams melt away into the walls of light.

"...I'm trapped."