Chapter One

The vampire's head darted in my direction. He stood up and ran up to me at speeds, too fast to even be possible. I back away fast as he entered my house. He kept his eyes on me at all times. I finally caught up with what was happening around me. I ran past him then I slammed the door shut and locked it. I rested my back on it and covered my eyes for just a second. I felt the wolves try to charge it, but thankfully it didn't give out on me this time. They didn't bother again, once a vampire is invited into a house, it becomes the vampire's territory. When I finally opened my eyes the vampire was standing right in front of me. I gasped and slammed my back in to the door.

"How did you know my name Cordelia?" He asked.

"Your friend mentioned it. How do you know mine?" He didn't speak, he just handed me a letter, with my name in big bold letters: Cordelia Frances. I knew straight away it was to do with my taxes. I walked past Charlie and into the kitchen. I sat at the table and opened up the letter. "Crap I've fallen behind again! Stupid taxes." I muttered. As I read the letter. "Crap! I just gave up my protection anyway!" I cried then rested my head on the table.

"Protection?" Charlie asked. I looked up to see he was leaning over the table, so that he at eye level with me. I yelped slightly and nearly fell of the chair.

"You have got to stop doing that. Maybe you should go home?" I suggested.

"What protection?" He asked again. He looked deadly serious. I couldn't tear my own eyes away from him.

"The protection that stops... Things like you from attacking things like me." I blurted. "Oh I didn't just say that. Shut up Cordelia or you'll die." I muttered as I went to walk out of the kitchen and into the living room.

"How did you give it up exactly?" Charlie asked, blocking my path.

"I have already told you too much can't you just go?" I begged. He pinned me against the wall, showing just how serious he was. I held my breath, trying to hold it together.

"The wolves are surrounding the house. I need to gain strength first. So how did you give it up?" He pressed.

"I invited you in! I invited a vampire in and was fully aware of what he was! Shouldn't you know all this already?" I cried.

"The wolves change the rules all the time. I want to know how humans see it."

"How exactly are you going to gain strength?" I asked, changing the subject all together. He was still invading my personal space, making me very uncomfortable.

"Blood." He whispered. I flinched, pressing myself further into the wall."I won't do anything to you. I do have some morals." He frowned.

"Well can you blame me? What morals exactly? And if you have no blood supply here how will you gain strength?" I asked, blabbering slightly. It was a bad habit of mine. Although I think I had already established that. I didn't really trust him so I stayed still. Maybe if I didn't move, he would forget I was even here.

"I don't hunt people who help me." He shrugged. He went to walk away from me but as he did, I watched as his face twisted in pain. "Stupid mutts." He muttered and pulled his trouser leg up.

"You need to get that stitched up." I blurted.

"No need. It's already healing and closing. As soon as it heals I will go. What are you going to do about your protection?"

"I don't know. I don't think anyone else has invited a vampire into their house before." I sighed.

"You'll be fine without it though right? As long as you're not out at night?" He asked.