Chapter Twelve

I half expected the night to really drag on but I guess the impending doom hovering over all of our heads had a habit of speeding things up a little. Logan and Brittany got bored soon enough and left leaving me and Charlie alone. Charlie began laying down some rules about my daytime adventures immediately I could tell just how much he was worried so I listen carefully and took mental notes of what directions I couldn't go off into, which was pretty much all of them. I still wasn't quite used to staying up all night and ending up crashing just before four in the morning. Charlie laid with me and held me while I slept. He played with my hair which only made me fall asleep faster.

I woke up with an hour, maybe less, of sunlight left so I got out the tent but I was too scared to go wandering anywhere. Instead I stayed put and waited for the sun to go down. You would think that with all of this drama going on around us, I would regret ever leaving my home. But strangely enough, I just couldn't bring myself to feel that way. No matter how much I missed my old life. This new one that was beginning just seemed so much better.

I couldn't shake the feeling that I was being watched or something. Every rustle of the leaves and whisper of the wind made chills travel down my spine. The sun was setting faster now, which relaxed me a little. I just wanted Charlie to wake up already, but I was getting so paranoid about being watched that I didn't want to draw attention to him in his own vulnerable state. While the sun was still up, Charlie would be unable to do anything if there was anyone watching us.

What was I thinking? There couldn't be anyone, or anything watching us. The vampires were sleeping and werewolves wouldn't dare come into vampire territory. I was perfectly safe until the sun went down and when that happened Charlie was there. I knew I was depending on him a lot, but I was useless in this part of the woods.

"What's wrong?" Charlie emerged from the tent, sitting beside me.

"I don't know. I'm just... Shaken up a little a guess." I smiled, burying my head into the crook of his neck.

"It's only natural." He replied, kissing the top of my head. Even with Charlie awake I still couldn't shake the feeling I was being watched, and Charlie didn't seem all that comfortable either. "How long have you been up?"

"About an hour. Probably less." I shrugged. Charlie just nodded. His mind in other places. "Something wrong?"

"Just got a lot to think about."

"Like..."

"I need to think of a way to make an appearance at the palace, and keep you safe at the same time."

"Well... You could always leave me with Brittany and Logan?"

"No. I don't trust them not to change you."

"Maybe it would be for the best. I mean if anything happened that meant you couldn't protect me, I would be doomed. I'm defenseless."

"Let's just not talk about this." Charlie muttered. I sighed slightly and nuzzled in closer. I could tell he was still uneasy about something and the feeling that we were being watched was still in my mind. I was almost certain that Charlie felt the same as he looked behind us a couple times.

"You feel it too don't you?" I asked, whispering, just in case. It was like I had just confirmed something to him and he pulled me up, keeping me close to his chest.

"Brittany, Logan and Derek are meant to be coming here tonight. We need to go and meet them there. How long have you feel like you're being watched?" He spoke in a low voice like me to avoid being heard.

"Since before you woke up. But I haven't exactly got any supernatural senses? Why are we going by my word?"

"Because I feel it too. Plus I figure that all your senses would be on overdrive after the past few days." He explained, pulling me along even faster than before. "The others are close."