20 Day Escape: Day 13

~-~-~-~-~-~

Day 13:

I hardly slept. If the tears didn't make me tired, I doubt I would have at all. What sleep I did get was full of nightmares, it made my stomach churn and my heart hurt.

I woke up to my phone going off.

The number belonged to Misaki, who I had intentions of calling, but never anticipated that he'd call me first.

"Misaki?" It comes out as a sore throated whisper.

"You have no fucking idea what you've done," His voice is low, and unlike anything I had ever heard from him before. "You... You just had to go and say that I loved her, didn't you? You had to ruin EVERYTHING."

"Misaki, what are you talking about?" I sit up, pushing some hair from my face.

"He wiped her entire memory drive! She doesn't even remember my name!" I have to pull the phone from my ear, he's livid.

"... do you want me to apologize? Because that's not going to happen." I let out a scoff "In fact, on the list of who's the biggest asshole here, I'd say you rank pretty evenly at the top with Daisuke." There's silence on the other end for a moment. I think I faintly hear him sniffling.

"I want you to take him down."

And here I thought it would be hard to convince him.

"I need the location of the lab Daisuke has been working at for my father. If you can get me that... I know I can fix this."

"Easy."

And then the dial tone.

I still had a chance to fix this.

~-~-~-~-~-~

The second time my phone went off, I didn't recognize the number at all.

"Hello?"

"Nami."

It was Len.

"How are you--"

"They made me put a headset back on. I think they forgot I can call you with it." He lets out a sad chuckle. "I just had to hear you again... They put me on a plane, I'm back in New York."

"Are you okay?" I bring my fist up to my mouth, digging my teeth into my knuckle so I didn't start crying.

"For now. My sister is here. I think she'd be mad if she wasn't so... worried about me, I guess."

There's a heavy silence in the air.

"I miss you, Nami."

"I never wanted this." I finally choke out, breaking the seal that kept back my heavy sobs.

"Listen to me, no matter what happens-- don't ever forget what I said."

"Don't.." I whisper.

"I love you." I think he's crying now too, just as big of a mess as I am. Sure of a sad future. "Remember that, and no matter what they say, what they do to me-- come find me, again. Make me remember."

I had to tell him now, I might never be able to again.

"Len, I l-"

"I need to go, someone's coming. Don't forget."

This time when I'm hung up on, I'm more of a mess. I had showered, changed, tidied my bad, and had my keys in hand-- but I still fell to the floor and cried. I cried for a long time.

I don't want him to forget.

I needed to save him.

~-~-~-~-~-~