20 Day Escape: The Final Day

~-~-~-~-~-~

Day 20:

This is where it ends.

"Let me by, Daisuke."

"What the hell are the police here for?"

"Do you want me to break that nose one more time?"

"That's ENOUGH." One of the officers shoves past, Daisuke goes to get in the way and is promptly tazed and handcuffed by another officer. I lead the rest of the force backstage, gaining the attention of every Vocaloid as I pass. Misaki stands at my father's side, Neru on the other. Only two of them are surprised to see this.

"Nami, what is the meaning o-" His eyes scan the group. My mother is there, along with Kenmochi. This was an overwhelming tidal wave, and I would pull him under just as he had done to me.

"Hajiime Nigata, you are hereby under arrest--"

"What?! For what?" His furious look sends a smile to my lips.

"Trespassing, destruction of property, kidnapping, domestic abuse. You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be held against you in a court of la-"

"Why the hell are you here, Naomi?" He growls, handcuffs being placed tightly around his wrists.

"Well, to start, I get to file for a fault divorce. The best part is, you can't say no this time." My mother is all too pleased, as well. "I also really just wanted to see the look on your face when Nami got here."

My father gives me a look that could kill, but I feel a hand on my shoulder, and Kenmochi waves a lawyer over. He pulls out the contract that he read to me yesterday.

"In the event that I, Hajiime Nigata, become incapable of running my business as both tour manage and CEO of Vocaloid Industry, my only child, Nami Nigata, will take my place and have full responsibility of funding and property."

"That's the best part." My mother whispers.

"No, this is the best part," I give the cop detaining my father a nod. "Take him away, boys."

"You actually did it." Misaki lets out a laugh, running towards me. At first, there's an awkward pause as he stands in front of me. But I soon am overwhelmed, and with a loud laugh, we embrace each other.

"Nami!" I hear Rin cry, running towards me full speed. "It actually happened! He's gone!" Her smile warms my heart.

"Not only that--" Misaki intervenes. "She's the new tour manager and CEO of the music company. She's got the power in her hands!"

"Well, what will your first executive decision be?" Kenmochi gives me an expectant smile as he crosses his arms. I regain my composure. This was a lot of responsibility, and I would be so much better than my father.

"No contracts. No possession, no limits. This isn't going to be a company run on slavery... It's time things changed." Slowly, every Vocaloid on tour has arrived backstage to see the commotion. "No more tracking devices, no more limiting feelings or dreams or education or..." Len joins the crowd.

I wish he could remember that this was for him. I wish could remember me.

"No more wiping memories." I look at Kenmochi. "I'm shutting down the lab in Boulder, I'm going to bring the pieces back to LA and I will not rest until every Vocaloid and Utau are fixed. This will be a company run on trust, not fear."

And they clap. Some cry, some cheer.

But Len just stands there.

It kills me.