- Chapter Three -

I can't see anything, but I know exactly where we're going. It's been a week since I visited Peeta at the bakery, and ever since he's tried to spend every second he can with me. And I'm okay with that. I don't get annoyed with him like I do with Haymitch. Peeta helps me stay calm. He keeps my stress to a minimum. He's my rock.

A blind fold is covering my eyes, and I can't see where Peeta is taking me. I never really liked surprises growing up. I always felt extremely insecure about not being fully aware of what was going to happen to me. Not much has changed since then. Luckily, I know the smell of these trees anywhere, but I play along for Peeta's sake. All he wants is to make me happy.

"Are we almost there?" I nag, trying to speed this whole not-being-able-to-see thing along. He knows I'm irritated and tries his best to speed up.

"Yes! Just a few more steps! I'm sorry," Peeta says sweetly. He is standing behind me with his strong hands on my waist, guiding me through the trees. The woods can be a dangerous place if you're not careful, but I completely trust him. He lets go of me and I stop moving, hoping that we have arrived.

"Now?" I ask, already untying my blindfold. He lets out a small laugh.

"Yes," he says, backing up. I take in the area around me. It's a sunny clearing in the woods. The tall trees surrounding us leave intricate shadows on the fresh grass under out feet. What really takes my breath away is the array of bright yellow dandelions growing as far out as the eye can see. I turn around and see Peeta with a picnic basket, grinning from ear to ear.

I've been here before, of course, with Gale. But this magical clearing has never been as beautiful as it is right now. With Peeta. I smile at him so he knows I approve, and we walk to the middle of the clearing.

"I hope you like it," he says, setting up the picnic blanket.

"It's beautiful!" I yell. And for once I don't have to worry about getting in trouble for being in the woods. I can hunt anytime I want, and everyone can know about it. I've been able to do my favorite thing in the world legally for an entire year now, and I've been spending all my time in bed. I can only imagine what my father would say to me right about now.

I help Peeta unload the picnic basket, occasionally taking breaks to admire the gorgeous flowers strewn about. This is the first time I've really been able to admire my surroundings in the forest. There's nothing I have to be cautious of. Nothing I have to worry about. Nothing that I'm forced to focus on longer than I want to.

Peeta offers me a cheese bun. My favorite. I gladly grab it out of his warm hands and take a bite. Another Delicious Mellark recipe. I don't know how he does it.

"Mmmmm," I exclaim, taking another huge bite. "This is amazing!"

"It's my father's favorite. He thought you'd like it." Peeta smiles, wiping bread crumbs off of my face with a napkin. I laugh and so does he. We're cut off when we hear the familiar sound of a Mockingjay singing in a nearby tree. Peeta smiles and I know what he's going to say.

"Sing," he says. I knew it. I roll my eyes at him and continue eating my cheese bun. I'm not very good at singing, and I don't plan on letting Peeta know that.

"I'm serious," he says, "I've heard your voice before, Katniss, and it's beautiful. Sing." I think about my options and finally decide to listen to Peeta. He's given me this breathtaking surprise, and I'm positive that he won't criticize me if I don't hit every note perfectly. It's the least I can do.

I think of which song to sing, and finally decide on "The Valley Song." I've known this song since elementary school and haven't forgotten the words since. I begin singing the first few verses. Every bird in a close proximity falls silent.

Down in the valley, the valley so low
Hang your head over, hear the wind blow
Hear the wind blow, dear, hear the wind blow;
Hang your head over, hear the wind blow.

Roses love sunshine, violets love dew,
Angels in Heaven know I love you,
Know I love you, dear, know I love you,
Angels in Heaven know I love you.

I glance at Peeta, who's looking happier than ever, and decide to continue.

If you don't love me, love whom you please,
Throw your arms 'round me, give my heart ease,
Give my heart ease, dear, give my heart ease,
Throw your arms 'round me, give my heart ease.

Build me a castle, forty feet high;
So I can see her as she rides by,
As she rides by, dear, as she rides by,
So I can see her as she rides by.

Write me a letter,'Send it by mail,
Send it in care of Birmingham Jail,
Birmingham Jail, love, Birmingham Jail,
Send it in care of Birmingham Jail

When I'm finished, Peeta and I lie down on the soft grass. We look up at the clear blue sky, listening to the Mockingjays sing to us for hours.

I hope you enjoyed! Be sure to vote, comment, and follow me! Thank you!

-Melanie 🦁