- Chapter Ten -

I open my eyes to the familiar clicking of high heels. "There's no way..." I whisper, getting up. Peeta isn't next to me. And I know we have a guest. I hurry to the bathroom to get ready for the day, but before I can even braid my hair, I hear a peppy knock on the
door.

"Today is going to be a big, big, big day!" I hear, and I spin around.

"Effie!" I say, throwing my arms around her when she comes in. She almost loses he balance wearing her I-don't-know-how-tall high heels.

"Katniss, manners," she hisses at me, but forgets about this quickly when she hugs me back. It's a pretty odd feeling. Hugging Effie. The last time I saw her was near the end of the war. And I hate to admit it, but I kind of forgot about her. I feel bad for this, and try my best to make her proud. I perfect my posture and though it feels weird, It seems to impress her. She smiles at my efforts, and let's out a high pitched sigh.

"Oh it's been so long," she says, snapping back to reality. She takes a small chunk of my uncombed hair and runs it between her fingers. The tangles get caught on her nail, and I scowl. I most certainly don't miss this part of Effie's presence. Her always trying to make me perfect. I'm not perfect, Effie. And no amount of prepping can change that. So get over it.

"Why are you here?" I ask, pushing her cold hand away.

"I heard about your wedding!" She says, with a huge smile. Since the last time I've seen her, there's a significant difference in the makeup on her face. The greenish-paleish color of her skin is still present, considering that modification is permanent. But the excessive use of eyeshadow has diminished to just a subtle pink. If suits her quite well, actually. Her hair is still large and in your face, but it's a lot less crazy than before. It's also a beautiful blonde that looks great with her silver, sparkly dress.

"It's so exiting!" She says, and I remember that I'm getting married! And it's going to happen soon. But how did she already know about it? Peeta only proposed yesterday.

As if reading my mind, Effie says, "Peeta called me a few days ago on the telephone. And he asked me to help you lovebirds plan the wedding!"

I practically throw up in my mouth. There's no way I'm letting her plan my wedding. Our wedding. I just want it to be with close family and friends- but I bet my buttons she has other plans.

"We don't need help," I blurt out.

"Still as stubborn as ever, Ms. Everdeen," she says, scowling. "I am going to help you. Just like I helped you win the Hunger Games. Twice." She's right. She's probably so exited about this- and I owe her. Even though I don't think my manners helped me win a fight to the death, she's always been there for me. And Peeta. And I'm grateful.

I hear a knock on the door and I know immediately that it's Peeta. The calmness is unmistakable.

"Good morning," he says, walking in through the creaky door. He looks so happy to have a guest. He's always been such a people-person. Sometimes I wish I was more like him.

"Did you tell her?" He says, looking at Effie.

"Why of course!" She says, taking my hand."With a little bit of my expertise, your wedding could go down in history!"

"I'm pretty sure it already has," I say rolling my eyes. She ignores me and takes Peeta's hand as well.

"I already have so many ideas!" She says in her usual squeaky tone. Peeta looks so amused. He wants a huge wedding. He wants to make our love known to the entire country. I, on the other hand, couldn't care less about grand venues and expensive dresses. If that's what Peeta wants, though, I would do it. For him.

"Oh!" She says loudly, startling me. "I forgot to say congratulations. To both of you!" She lets go of our hands and claps quietly. Peeta just chuckles.

"Now," she says. "Time to call the caterer!" She walks out of the room and I look at Peeta. He knows I'm annoyed.

"I was thinking about the wedding, Katniss." He starts to explain, "And I know we wouldn't be able to do it all ourselves...." He continues, innocently. I take a deep breath and accept the fact that we do need help. I would probably buckle under pressure trying to plan a wedding that meets Effie's standards. Maybe with Peeta's help I could do it, but we both know Effie could and will do a much better job.

"How many people were you thinking?" I ask, raising an eyebrow. He sighs.

"We just have to trust Effie." He says, rubbing my back. "Whatever she says goes. She knows what she's doing."

"Fine," I agree. "But I get final say on everything."

"Of course." He laughs. And then I remember that it's our wedding. It's not all about the girl on fire anymore.

"We. I meant," I say, meeting his eyes. And I feel the blood rush to my cheeks. How much more selfish could I be? Especially standing here with the most generous person that I know.

"I want what you want, Katniss." He says, "Whatever makes you happy, I'm more than okay with. Just please give Effie a chance?" He asks. And I nod.

"I'm going to go help her." He says, letting go of my hands. "You're welcome to join us when you're ready." He smiles and walks out of the door, closing it behind him.

I decide to make a list of things that I require for the wedding. Kind of like I did when I was becoming the mockingjay. It seemed to work out pretty well when I had my standards in my pocket. I take a piece of paper and a pencil and begin to write.

1: Must be located somewhere in District 12.

2: No more than 100 people.

3: No Capitol foods.

4: Must leave a seat empty in the front row for Prim.

I erase that last one. If I reminded Effie of my sister she would probably start weeping. Of course it's a sad topic for me, but she tends to blow things a lot out of proportion. And plus, it would be stupid to leave a seat for Prim. The maid of honor wouldn't need a seat.

I go over my list a couple of times and realize that I don't have many requests, which is surprising. I thought I'd be one of the obnoxious brides that wants everything to go their way. I do want that, but I also know that won't be accomplished unless it's planned by a professional. And Effie Trinket is the most professional person that I know.

I fold up the paper and put away my pencil. I walk out the door to see Peeta and Effie discussing flower arrangements. It doesn't seem too interesting, so I decide not to bother them. I leave my list on the table where they can see it. I put on my hunting boots and head towards the door.

~•~

The trip to the woods takes longer than usual, considering everyone that sees me has to congratulates me about the wedding. It's frightening- how fast things can get around. I've been too busy to read the newspaper lately. No doubt that our wedding made the front page this morning. I make a mental note to start reading it every now and then. Like I used to. As well as letting me know about stories and rumors focusing on my life, it also catches me up on District 12 news that I otherwise wouldn't know. It's kind of nice.

Eventually, I make it to my hunting spot. Where I used to meet up with Gale. The log we used to sit on feels so empty without someone by my side. I do miss Gale. As a friend. A best friend. But he wanted more than that. There is no way, now, that I'd forgive him. But I won't have to. He'd never come back. I'm not worth the trip.

I take a deep breath, looking at the trees above. Hiding me from any dangers. I can't express how much the woods comfort me. I think about the wedding, and smile. I hate to admit it, but I'm kind of excited. There hasn't been much variety in my life lately, and this sure will make up for it. I just hope Effie doesn't make it too extravagant.

I lie down on the soft ground and spot a mockingjay singing in a tall tree.

"You've gotten me this far," I whisper, as if it an hear me. "Don't fail me now."

I hope you enjoyed! Be sure to vote, comment, and follow me! Thank you!

-Melanie 🦁