- Chapter Six -

Over the next few years I take at least 30 minutes of each day to read the newspaper. To find my name. Peeta is mad at Haymitch for telling me about this. He hates to see me annoyed, and reading rumors about us is just about the most annoying thing there is. Occasionally, I find stupid articles about Peeta and I. About Marriage. About children.

That word still gives me shivers. I'm never having kids. I don't care how safe District 12 is now. It's not even a possibility. I've been fake pregnant before, and it wasn't fun. So much pity. So many lies. I know Peeta wants children. Lots of them. He and Prim are the only reasons I've even considered.

I've talked to Annie on the phone, and she told me all about her boy, Flynn. About him growing up. I've learned all there is to know about baby food, diapers, naps, books, games, toys, and songs. I've decided I don't need that in my life. I already have to take care of Haymitch, and he's practically like a child anyway.

Anyway, if Peeta even wants a chance at having kids, he's going to have to propose to me first. And I don't see that coming anytime soon. I always thought he'd be the one to prematurely ask for my hand in marriage, and I'd be the one to turn him down the first couple of times. Now I'm the one ready for a change.

That's a first.

I walk upstairs and go into my room. I walk passed the bed and head over to my nightstand, where I keep anything and everything that's important to me. I rummage through the drawer and feel for the locket that Peeta gave me in the arena. I take it out of the drawer and the memories of being with Peeta on the beach come flooding back. When we discussed leaving Finnick, Johanna, and Beetee. Little did we know they were the ones that would save us, I open it and see the small pictures of Gale, Prim, and my mother. The beautiful frames around each image are so detailed. I never really had time to examine how gorgeous this gift really was. I slip the necklace over my head, and hide it under my shirt, close to my heart.

I think about Peeta, and realize how sweet he really is. I'm so glad to have him be a big part of my life. I mean, he practically lives with me now. We've arranged for him to keep some of his clothes in my closet, since all of my wardrobe can fit in a small dresser. Peeta sleeps with me most nights, too. It's just natural, now, for him to curl up beside me and keep me safe and warm.

I look for the pearl that Peeta gave me. On the beach, in the arena. But I can't seam to find it. I know I kept it. I would have never let myself throw it away. I take everything out of the drawer, but to no avail. What I do find is a huge diamond ring, with smaller rubies and emeralds surrounding the main gem. What is this? I'm not very fond of jewelry, and everyone knows it. Who would have given me a ring?

And then I remember. This is the ring that Peeta gave me when he proposed. When we had to convince people that we were deeply in love. When he bent down on one knee, live with Caesar Flickerman, I started crying. Haymitch told me that it was a "nice touch," but it defiantly wasn't planned.I don't know why it happened, it just did. They were not tears of joy. If anything, I was just sad that none of our love was for real. That we would only be married in front of the cameras.

I take a close look at the ring, and I'm not impressed. I'm sure any girl in the country would be dying to even be near a diamond this big, but me, I have better things to think about. Peeta knows that I'm not attracted to huge, expensive gems. But, of course, this ring was supplied by the Capitol, where everything is big and expensive.

Suddenly, Peeta walks in the room, and I slam the drawer shut. He sees me kneeling down by my bed, and I just tell him I was cleaning. Maybe he buys it, but probably not. He comes over to me to sit on my green quilt. He pats the fabric next to him, motioning for me to come and sit. I don't argue. There are no conversations, like usual. We just sit and look out of the window.