- Chapter Eight -

I walk hand in hand with Peeta through the town. I get numerous, "happy birthdays" and even a few small presents. One man insists that I take his watch. And I refuse, but accept a hug from him instead. People need to stop cherishing me. Like I'm some kind of super hero. I'm looking forward to a day when I can walk into town and be treated like a normal person. By I don't think that will ever happen. And I guess that's okay as long as nobody's getting hurt. For me.

We follow the path that leads to Peeta's bakery, and I figure that's where my birthday breakfast will be. I hope this isn't a huge event. Peeta, Madge, and I would be just fine. But I'm pretty sure, though, the boy with the bread has bigger plans.

We arrive at the front of the store. Peeta tells me to wait here. And I don't argue. He goes inside the bakery and I take a seat outside. I wonder what he's setting up in there. It can't be too big of a surprise - I mean it's only my birthday. I have one every year.

The blinds are pulled down, so I can't see what's going on inside. I hear some rustling and some plates clinking. There's a loud crash and a familiar groan. Was that Johanna? I dismiss the thought. There's no way Peeta could have dragged her all the way to District 12 just for my birthday.

After a few more minutes of waiting, the door opens and I see Peeta, motioning me to come in his direction.
I stand up and follow him to the door. Inside the bakery is complete darkness. I don't see Peeta. Or Madge. Or anyone. I subconsciously reach back for an arrow, my mind immediately thinking I'm in danger.

As soon as I realize that I'm not wearing my quiver, the lights go on, startling me, and I hear at least ten people scream, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" I'm shaking, and I find Peeta who's walking up to me laughing. He hugs me and whispers, "I'm sorry," but I know he's not. He likes to see me scared every now and then. I'm usually not one to get frightened. Still in his arms, I look around the room, seeing everyone that I care for- well, At least everyone that is still live. And I can't believe it.

The first people that I notice are Annie and Flynn. The beautiful woman smiles at me, and her little boy waves. God, he's grown so much since the last time I've seen him. It's been over 2 years.

Standing next to them is the one and only Johanna Mason. I guess I did hear her from outside. She nods in her weird way, but she and I both know we're friends.

Madge and her father, Mayor Undersee, are sitting down at a table. The man obviously doesn't look well, but I figure he must be doing okay if he's at my birthday breakfast. What I mainly notice about him is that his eyes are drooping with exhaustion. It's hard work controlling an entire district. Madge is holding both of his hands, though, and he looks happy to be here.

Haymitch is here of course. And so are a few of other people from District 12-Greasy Sae and a couple of my old friends from school that survived the bombing.

I let go of Peeta so I can thank everyone for the surprise. I start to talk, but then notice something out of the corner of my eye. Or someone, I should say. My mother. She smiles at me and looks extremely proud. Of how much I've grown, maybe. How much I've accomplished. She looks just like she did when I spotted her in the audience after the games. When I was being crowned victor with Peeta.

I can't believe it's been over two years since I've seen her. When she moved, I didn't think I'd miss her as much as I did. Even though she wasn't there for Prim, I feel like she was always there for me. I can't explain it. She wasn't feeding or taking care of us, but she was always by my side as I took over that roll. I don't know. But I do know that I love her.

I walk up to her. And hug her. She rubs my back like she used to before my father died. Before she left us. It brings back so many memories of happy times. Times before any chaos.

"Are we just going to hug all day?" Haymitch asks, annoyingly. "Lover Boy here spent a lot of time on this for you, sweetheart." He growls.

I let go of my mother. She whispers to me, "I'm sorry I left. I just couldn't handle-" I cut her off.

"It's okay." I say, and I walk back to Peeta. I don't feel like talking about anything depressing right now. This is my birthday.

He sits us down at a long table, placing me and the head of it. Peeta sits to my right and Annie sits to my left, with Flynn on her lap. I lean down and tap his nose. His laugh is so adorable. It reminds me of Prim's when she was a baby.

"You've gotten so big!" I say, smiling.

"I know," Annie answers, sighing. "He's such a little handful now. He can walk wherever he wants and barely listens to me. It can be so hard. Without Finnick." She says, stroking Flynn's soft hair. I consider telling her about the dream I had last night, but decide against it. It might just make her miss her husband more.

I spend some time just staring at Flynn, shocked at how much he's growing up to look more and more like Finnick. Even the shape of his face resembles his father. It's fascinating. One day, if I had kids, there'd be a mini me walking around. But, of course, this would never happen. That'd be a pain for everyone - having two Katniss Everdeen's.

Suddenly, I feel cold hands on my shoulders and turn around quickly. It's Johanna.

"Hey, girl on fire," she says, circling me. She moves so swiftly.

"Johanna. How I've missed you," I say frowning. She squints her eyes at me.

"You look different. Older." She says, examining me. It makes me feel extremely uncomfortable.

"So do you. And I should know what you look like, Johanna, considering you took all of your clothes off in front us." I say. "In an elevator," I add. I look at Peeta, trying to hold back his laugh. I smile at him, knowing that I said the right thing.

Johanna gives me a look. "Just remember, miss Katniss Everdeen, that I am not here just for you." And she walked away. If she's not here for me, then what is she here for? I ask Peeta, but he just shrugs. He avoids eye contact. He's lying. He knows something, but I don't bother asking. Maybe it's part of another surprise or something. Great.

Everyone eats their meal and, of course, it's delicious. I feel like I'm in the Capitol again, eating at long tables with hundreds of fine dishes of food to choose from. It's nice, considering I usually only eat little things. Fruit and small pieces of bread. Cheese buns and lamb stew. It's nice to stuff yourself once every few years.

"Attention, everyone," someone says, and I hear a knife clinking on a cup. I look around the room to find where it's coming from.

"I have an announcement," and I see Haymitch, standing near the end of the table. Uh oh.

"I would like to make a toast," he says, slowly. "To Katniss Everdeen."

Everyone looks at me and various things are yelled across the room. Some say, "To Katniss!" Others say, "Happy Birthday." Haymitch knows that I don't like everyone focusing on me. He's so cruel sometimes.

Peeta sees that I don't like the attention, so he interrupts the toast and announces the dessert! God, he's such a lifesaver sometimes.

Peeta's mother, who I am not very fond of, comes out of the back room holding a plate full of pastries of all different shapes and sizes. When she comes to my end of the table, she dully wishes me a happy birthday and hands me a cupcake, which I do not eat. I'm just too full.

While everyone eats their dessert, I observe all of the people that Peeta brought to District 12. For me. Everyone that I love is gathered in one room. Celebrating together. I can't imagine how Peeta pulled this off. But he did.

I realize that I probably haven't been smiling a lot today. Peeta most likely thinks that I don't like it. My party. That he did all of this for nothing. I take a mental note to act a lot more joyous and thankful on the outside. Not just on the inside. Because on the inside, I love seeing the people that I've been missing like crazy for over three years. And I want everyone to know that.

I look over to Peeta. To thank him for this amazing gift. But he's not there. I look around, but he's nowhere to be seen. I'm about to get up to go find him when the room goes completely black.

I hope you enjoyed! Be sure to vote, comment, and follow me! Thank you!

-Melanie 🦁