- Chapter Twenty One -

When the door swings open and I see Haymitch's familiar face, I practically attack him with questions. My mother left me hours ago and hasn't checked on me since, leaving me clueless and wondering. My head and stomach in unbearable pain. Almost throwing up multiple in the bucket that was left for me. So much time to tie knots in my rope. The rope that keeps me sane. There were many moments where I was so close to jumping out of bed and sprinting out of the room. Scavenging the entire district to find Peeta. But I knew from my previous attempts to sit up and grab my water that this wouldn't have ended well. My vision went and I couldn't hear anything for a good 10 seconds. In this state, I wouldn't have stranded a chance getting up, let alone walking.

"Where is he? Is he okay? Where's Peeta?" I jump. My voice is still in pain, but it's a lot better than before considering the hours of silence and rest that I've had.

"He's okay. He's in the hospital," Haymitch slurs. The hospital? How? Why? What happened to him? So many questions buzz around my head and I can't seem to focus on anything other than Peeta. It's crazy how he can just take over my mind like he does.

Haymitch walks over to me and sits himself down at the foot of my bed. I hug my legs to my body so he had more room to get comfortable. He doesn't move, though. All he does is look at me. It relaxes me to see that he doesn't have a sense of urgency. Or worry. He doesn't seem stressed or concerned. And what I can tell by this is that Haymitch is either drunk, or Peeta is actually alright. I'm going to go with both.

Before I can speak, I have to think about every single question that I have and try to sort out the good ones from the bad ones. This takes a little while, leaving Haymitch confused and impatient. I finally come to a conclusion that my most important question is about the wedding. About Today. About me and Peeta. And Gale.

"What... What happened today?" I finally ask.

"You seriously don't remember?" He says, giving me a look like I'm stupid. I immediately frown but he just laughs. I can't believe him sometimes "It was pretty unforgettable."

"No, Haymitch, I don't remember. And if I did remember I wouldn't be asking for a recap!" I snap. Maybe this was a little harsh. But I figure I'm allowed to be harsh after the most important day of my life was ruined.

"Sorry," he whispers. He knows he shouldn't be joking with me right now.

"It was Gale. He wanted you to go off with him. Get married. Have kids. Like everyone always thought you would." Haymitch mumbles slowly, probably trying not to freak me out too much. But I'm not freaked out. This is what Gale has wanted since day one. There's nothing new here. "He started fighting with Peeta for taking you away from him, and soon Peeta was fighting too. After a lot of "discussing," you may call it, Gale went up to you and tried to... kiss you, Katniss."

Now I'm freaked out. Gale tried to kiss me. He tried to kiss me. I never thought I'd have to string those five words together. And I never want to again. All I do is breathe. Over and over. In through my nose. Out through my mouth. Faster and faster each time. Gale. He tried to kiss me.

"But he didn't!" Haymitch interrupts, trying to keep me calm. "He didn't kiss you, Katniss! Peeta wouldn't let him!"

Of course. I should have known.

"He pulled Gale up close by the collar and started saying who-knows-what. I wasn't really listening. I was too busy watching Peeta get madder and madder... He was like a-"