- Chapter Seventeen -

The walk to the clearing takes about 20 minutes. Of course, the clearing is in the woods. Right where I like it. That said, I've never seen Effie in the woods. And it's pretty entertaining.

At first, she tries to walk in her usual
shoes, often getting her heel stuck in plants and roots. She seems to make an unsatisfied groan after every step she takes, and I seem to be laughing harder and harder each time she does. She eventually takes off her shoes, causing her clean white socks to become brown with grime and mud. She must really care about me if she puts up with this. This is not lady like in the slightest.

"Katniss have we almost arrived?" Effie asks, gritting her teeth.

"Yes. A few more steps, Effie," I laugh, pointing to the clearing in the distance that barely exposes itself. She looks ahead and nods. For some reason, this journey to the clearing feels like a longer trip than I'm used to. Probably because I usually go with Peeta. He can make time move so fast. The last two years of my life have gone faster than anything I've ever experienced. And I'm not complaining.

When we arrive at the clearing, I can't believe my eyes. It's so different than before. The beautiful white chairs lined up on either side of the aisle take my breath away. Dandelions covering every spec of the green grass. The long red velvet carpet leading to the wooden gazebo looks astonishing. I will soon be walking down that carpet. Walking into my future. My new life. My happiness.

"Katniss!" I hear, and then I feel a pair of soft arms being thrown around me.

"Madge," I smile.

"Katniss I'm so exited for you! I can't believe it!" She squeals, "So you like what Peeta and I have done?"

Madge spins around, acknowledging the chairs and gazebo, her dress flowing in the wind. Of course Peeta had something to do with it. It's perfect. And Peeta's perfect. What did I expect?

"I love it," I say, taking Madge's hands in mine.

"Come on! Let's go get you dressed!" She says, leading me to the opposite side of the clearing. There lies a large tent, big enough for a few people. I didn't even notice it before. When I walk inside, I know immediately that this was not a tent made in district 12. From the inside, the structure looks like a full on house. Beautiful wall paper and hard wood flooring. It's nicer than most of the houses in 12. I just can't seem to figure out how anyone got one of these high class tents here, of all places. And then I know. Effie. She probably knows a guy. What am I saying? Effie knows everyone.

"Your dress is hanging on that hook over there," Madge says, pointing to the corner. "I'll leave you to dress! The guests will be here soon!"

Guests! I forgot about that. How many people are coming? 100? 1000? From the chairs I can see it couldn't be more than a couple hundred, but I can't be too sure.

As soon as Madge skips out of the tent, I take off my regular clothes and grab the dress from the hook. Wow. I've forgotten how heavy a simple dress can be. I slide the fabric over my slender body, and it fits like a glove. It's perfect. Better than before, actually. I look better than I've ever looked. I'm not wearing a Capitol outfit. No crazy colored Capitol makeup. Just a normal, beautiful, wedding dress.

I take off the pin from my shirt and place it under a layer of fabric, so it can't be seen. I know it's there, though, and that's all that matters.

I look in the mirror, trying to prepare myself for all that's coming my way. I'm getting married. In front of my loved ones. In front of everyone. It will be written about. Filmed. Shown to the whole country. And I don't want to mess up. What will I say for my vows? Nothing? Everything? I carefully lean down to my pants that are lying on the floor. I take the crumpled up piece of paper out of the back pocket and read it over again.

You're the boy with the bread.

You saved my life.

You're my dandelion in the spring.

I owe you.

I love you.

I take at least 45 minutes to plan what in going to say. And that entire period of time goes to waste. By the time Madge comes in the room to give me a 10 minute warning, I'm completely clueless.

"Katniss are you okay?" Madge says, sitting down next to me on the small leather couch. Feeling her presence next to me is so comforting.

"I don't know what I'm going to say, Madge. I've had months to prepare and I still don't know." I say as Madge takes my cold hand in hers. I don't have to explain what I mean. I've been talking to her on the phone about these vows for months on the phone. She gets how hard this is for me.

"Just say what you feel. Tell Peeta how much you love him," Madge says, "Love isn't about what you write down on a paper."

I nod and stand up. I walk towards the opening of the tent and peek outside. So many people have already taken their seats. So many people. Over 100 for sure. Most of them I know or have at least seen before. The other quarter of people are new to my eyes. Probably Effie's friends. So many people. About to see me give my love to Peeta. About to see me commit myself to the love of my life. So many people about to see me become Mrs. Peeta Mellark.

"Your mother is here, Katniss," Madge says from the couch. I stare at her for a few seconds, confused. She came? My mother. That didn't care if I lived or died. Didn't care if I was starving or full. Didn't care if I was happy or sad. Didn't talk to me for years. Didn't talk to Prim. The mother that didn't take care of me and my little sister - is at my wedding? I look out to the white chairs again, where everyone is sitting. And sure enough, in the back row, my mother sits alone. Next to no one. Holding a white envelope in her hands. Is that for me? Maybe.

"She seemed happy to be here. Your mother." Madge says. "She was smiling."

"Okay. Good,"I whisper. If she's happy, I'm happy. She's come here by choice. To see me. And that's all I care about.

"You're okay?"

"Yes," I answer. And I mean it.

We watch in silence, and the rest of the chairs get filled. Every time someone that I know takes their seat, I smile. My friends. My loved ones. My family. I even smile when Johanna places herself in the front row next to Annie. Everyone is so happy. To be together. I'm pretty happy too. I just need one more thing. Peeta. I haven't seen him all day. And I need to very soon.

"It's time Katniss," Madge smiles. "Everyone's here. Every seat is filled. For you."

"Alright," I say. "Let's go, then."

I hope you enjoyed! Be sure to vote, comment, and follow me! Thank you!

-Melanie 🦁