Chapter 17

//EDITED//

(Maria's POV Continued) 

Recap: I begin to scream in excruciating agony, as the god forsaken liquid spread across my entire body. My body convulses as the liquid attacks my organs mercilessly. The dire affliction cuts off unexpectedly and leaves me completely paralysed. I can't move an inch of my body which is when I realise that even more people have entered the room, two men carrying a stretcher and a few more people holding clipboards , wearing pristine white coats. Celeste's guards place me on the stretcher and I'm carried outside with a serene expression plastered on my face, whereas on the inside my entire body is bursting in flames and my mind on the edge of insanity. 

The paralysis continued it's relentless hold over my body as I was carried against my will out of the freezing cold room that I was previously kept in. I could move my eyes but my vision was blocked by at least 7 bodyguards, two of which were holding the stretcher that I was on, 3 people in white lab coats holding clipboards walked in front of me and lastly Celeste who walked beside me and never once taking her eyes off of me. As if she expected me to over power the paralysis any second now and attack her. However despite her suspicion I was in no position to be able to fight against their poison that restricted me from any movement. My mind and body felt equally drained and if it weren't for my current situation then I would have probably given up all hope for my survival and taken the easy way out; since Celeste had told me the truth about myself, in the back of my mind, I had been contemplating different ways to take my life.

Mostly because I couldn't take it any more...because I wasn't who I thought was...because I was 'evil' and a 'monster' in the eyes of all of these people. I had even had a fleeting thought that maybe this is why my parents died in that car accident whereas I survived. I have always felt guilty about it because they had been arguing over something that I had done when it had happened but thinking that I survived because I wasn't human somehow made it even worse.

Dad had gotten really angry and began yelling, mum yelled right back...all of a sudden two bright lights shone right in front of us...and dad spun the car to avoid crashing but he was too late. We hit the other car and then a nearby tree before landing with the car upside down at the edge of the road. I remember being able to crawl through a crack in the car door in order to get out. I didn't even look at Mum and Dad. I had just cared about getting out because I was so terrified. I had been far enough from the car that when the engine burst into vicious flames I simply got the fallout of the explosion. I have never been able to forgive myself after that. I should have helped them. They shouldn't have died. Not because of 'something' like me. Nevertheless at the current moment in time, it feels as though my wish will be fulfilled by the very people who caused me to make such a wish, by revealing my true self to me.

I'm distracted from my distressing memories as I see a door at the end of the hallway. As it comes closer I began to get a strange sense of 'impending doom'. I become even more restless when Celeste opens the silver door by scanning the ID that was hanging from her neck, to reveal more strangers in pristine, white coats with the familiar look of caution in their eyes that matched the rest of the people that I have met in this place, as well as hesitation in their actions as soon as they set eyes on me. One timid, blonde women stepped up to Celeste and began showing her something on a mini-computer screen whilst my restraints were being taken off. I'm placed in handcuffs that are hanging in mid air, attached to the ceiling. Due to the liquid Celeste gave me, which caused my paralysis, my head hung lifelessly onto my equally lifeless shoulder. My knotted and grimy hair blocked my vision, however when I was being hung up I had been able to see that in front of the room was glass that stretched across the entire wall and reflected everything happening around me. Before I could take in the rest of my surroundings a numbing pain began in both my wrists, slowly getting stronger. Also I could distinctly feel my feet being put in cold, metal restraints; this must all have meant that the paralysis was only temporary. Although that thought only increases my anxiety as I began to think of all the possible reasons they would want me hung in mid-air under a 'mildly worn off paralysis' state.