Chapter 6 - A New Mission

Bucky's POV

Inside a bank vault, the HYDRA agents work attentively to fix Bucky's metal arm and as they do so he has a brief flashback to his old life after he was recovered by Zola and the HYDRA agents. He hears a voice ring out in his head as it says, "Sergeant Barnes..." Then he has a flashback to falling off the train at the edge of the mountain with the man from the bridge trying to save him. "Bucky, no!" The man in the blue, red, and white outfit cries out as he falls from the train. His mind goes back to right after he is picked up by Hydra agents. 

A man he remembers as Dr. Arnim Zola smiles as he says, "The procedure has already started." Bucky vividly remembers Zola and the Hydra agent amputating his left arm and replacing with the metal arm. His cries of pain could still be heard in his mind. "You are to be the new face of HYDRA." Zola says as he leans over Bucky then he turns toward his men and says, "Put him on ice." The sudden sensation of his body freezing made the memory of being frozen in cryo fill his mind.

As if fighting against his memories he lashes out and knocks the Hydra agent fixing his arm back causing the Hydra agent Rollins to point his gun at him to stop him attacking any further. Bucky sat there his mind filled with fussy memories. Then his mind floats to ______, she had been right. He did know the man from the bridge. As he thinks about her he remembers how she had put herself between him and his target. 

He knew she was willing to give her life to save the man and for some reason that made him angry. It made him even angrier as he remembered Rumlow punching her in the face. Why and how had she gotten out of that van? She should have just stayed put now he had no idea where she was and if she was still alive. "Sir, he's...he's unstable. Erratic." He hears a man say and sees out of the corner of his eye Pierce enter the vault followed by Rumlow and a few other agents. 

"Mission report." Pierce asks but Bucky ignores him. "Mission report, now." Pierce says again but when Bucky continues to remain quiet Pierce suddenly strikes him hard in the face.

Bucky blinks a few times before he turns toward him and says, "The man on the bridge..." He has a flashback to Steve calling him by his name as he continues saying, "Who was he?" 

Alexander Pierce sighs as he says, "You met him earlier this week on another assignment." 

Bucky gulps down a breath as he says, "I knew him." 

Pierce sits in front of Bucky and says, "Your work has been a gift to mankind. You shaped this century, and I need you to do it one more time. Society is at a tipping point between order and chaos. Tomorrow morning we're gonna give it a push. But if you don't do your part, I can't do mine, and HYDRA can't give the world the freedom it deserves." 

"But I knew him." 

Pierce turns to the scientists and says, "Prep him." 

"He's been out of cryo-freeze too long." One of the Scientists says in protest. 

"Then wipe him and start over."

Bucky grits his teeth as he knew what was to come. The scientists lean him back in his chair and quickly strap him down. The memories would disappear again. He was used to it so maybe it wouldn't be so bad to go dark again.

"Can you promise me something?" He hears her voice ring out in his mind, "Will you promise me that no matter what happens, that you'll remember me?" 

"I promise I'll try."  He sees her smiling face burn in his mind as she says, "That's all I could ask for." 

No this was wrong he was going to forget you. That was the last thing he wanted. He was about to forget your smile, your feistiness, and the way you made him want to change. He started to struggle against his bonds as he fights to be free. "Wait!" He hears Pierce say and stealing a glance Bucky watches as Pierce walks back over to him.

"Why are you resisting?"Peirce asks and when Bucky doesn't respond he smirks and says, "This is about that girl." Bucky's eyes widen in fear as he struggles against his bonds. "You have some sort of connection to her. That's too bad considering in a few moments you'll forget all about her; and just to make it even better I'll make her your first mission. You'll be responsible for her death and you won't even know until afterword." 

Bucky groans out in protest as the scientist quickly shoves a mouth guard in his mouth to keep him from gritting his teeth because of the pain the machine would put him through. "Now!" Pierce orders the scientists to begin the process of wiping his brain. No he couldn't forget her, there had to be some way but he knew it was hopeless. Tears started to fall from his eyes as he thought about what they would make him do to her.

As the machine clamps down on his head he screams in pain. He watches helplessly as his memories with her and the guy he knew slowly vanished from his memory. A few moments later the machine was finished and he was cut loose from his bonds. Nothing his mind was a complete blank the only thing he knew was that Pierce was his boss and he was to follow his orders no matter what. He was a soldier and an assassin. 

He was there to follow orders and not argue. "These two are you targets." Pierce says as he hands him a file with a picture of a man with short blonde hair wearing a blue suit with a white star on his chest, the other picture was of a woman with (H/L) (H/C) hair and a slender build. 

He nods as he says, "Any special request?" 

Pierce smirks as he says, "Make hers long and painful."

The Winter Soldier nods. Then he quickly went to prepare for his upcoming mission.