Chapter 9 - Amnesia

Reader's POV

"Please save Bucky."

Those were the last words you had said before your vision went dark and your body grew cold. Was this really how your story would end? You had left the safety of your universe only to die in this one. You feel yourself pulled into a dream and looking around see a familiar blue house standing before you. 

Your heart clenches as you realize what you were looking at. It was your childhood home. The last place you had truly been happy. You stare at the house as tears fall from your eyes. You hear a door open and looking forward see your mother's smiling face looking back at you. "Mom?" You say half in shock and excitement. Her smile grows as she opens her arms to you. You start to run toward her when a hand grabs your shoulder and holds you back.

You turn to see who the hand belonged to and your eyes widen as you see Steve standing there next to you his eyes filled with sadness. "Steve?" You say staring at him in shock. "You shouldn't be here you're not dead." 

He nods as he says, "No I'm not but that doesn't mean you should be dead either." 

You raise an eyebrow as you say, "What do you mean? I knew this was how it was going to end up from the beginning. I wasn't meant to be in your universe so the universe remedied that." 

He looks past you to your old house and says, "Either way you can't go over there." 

You fold your hands over your chest and say, "And why the hell not Mr. Rogers?" 

His eyes fill with sadness as he says, "Do you really want to leave Bucky behind? You know better than anyone that he now remembers everything."

Bucky, you had been so caught up in seeing your family again that you had forgotten the reason you were standing there in the first place. "He doesn't need me around to confuse him. It's better if I just let fate takes its course and go over there with my mother." 

Steve rolls his eyes as he says, "You know that's a lie." 

"You know you're a lot more annoying than the real Steve." 

"Of course, I'm not really Steve; I'm just the part of your subconscious that wants to live." 

"So basically I'm having an argument with myself right now." 

"Pretty much." 

"You know they have pills for stuff like this." 

"It's only crazy if your other self, being me, is right. Which I am." 

You let out a groan as you turn back to face your mom she was now playing in the yard with a younger version of yourself. You smile as you say, "I miss her so much." 

"I know you do, but she wouldn't want you to give up." 

"I know. She would be angry with me just for thinking about it." Your eyes are drawn back to the front door where you see your father emerge holding a tray of drinks. His dark grey eyes found yours causing your heart to clench even tighter as tears fill your eyes. "It would be so much easier to just walk over to them and let go." You feel his hand grabs yours and you look up into his blue eyes and turning toward him wrap your arms around him. This version might just be a figment of your imagination but he was right. You feel him arms reach around your body and he gently starts patting your back.