Chapter 7 - HYDRA or SHIELD

Reader's POV

When you awoke the vehicle you all were in had come to a stop. You turned to Steve with anger in your eyes, "Did you just tazer me?" 

"I had to. I wasn't about to leave you there for Hydra to take advantage of." 

"Dammit Steve I knew what I was doing." You cry out as the door to the van opens and you all climb out. Sam grabs a hold of Natasha and helping her, the five of you head toward a door that you knew leaded to a secret Shield Base.

When you all walk through the door a man runs towards You all. "GSW. She's lost at least a pint." You hear Maria tell the man who proceeds to take Natasha from Sam as he chimes in, "Maybe two." "She'll want to see him first." Maria says and you sigh as you knew what was about to happen.

A few seconds later you all are standing in front of Fury who's alive and lying in bed, the rest of your company stare at him in shock. "About damn time." You hear Fury say and you smile. "Nice to see you again ______." 

"You're looking rather spry for a dead man." You say making him smile. 

"You knew but you didn't say anything to anyone?" He asks and you nod as you say, "I'm good at keeping secrets. Almost as good as you."

A few minutes later you look over to see the doctors working on Natasha's arm. "Lacerated spinal column, cracked sternum, shattered collarbone, perforated liver, one hell of a headache." You hear Fury say as you stare at the floor thinking about how much you wish you could have been there with Bucky. "Don't forget your collapsed lung." The doctor quickly chimes in making Fury reply with, "Oh, let's not forget that. Otherwise, I'm good." 

"They cut you open, your heart stopped." Natasha says and you can tell she had taken his death harder than anyone.

"Tetrodotoxin B. Slows the pulse to one beat a minute. Banner developed it for stress. Didn't work so great for him, but we found a use for it." Fury says causing Steve to reply with, "Why all the secrecy? Why not just tell us?"

"Any attempt on the director's life had to look successful." Maria says and you gently fidget in your stance. 

"Can't kill you if you're already dead. Besides, I wasn't sure who to trust." Fury says making your smirk at his words. "Have you figure out who's running Hydra yet?" 

"Alexander Pierce himself," You quickly chime in making Fury stare at you wide eyed. 

"Are you sure?" 

You scoff as you say, "I'm a walking fortune teller of course I'm sure." 

After a few moments he moves us all to a table in the command room. Looking at a photo of Pierce Fury sighs as he says, "This man declined the Nobel Peace Prize. He said, 'Peace wasn't an achievement, it was a responsibility.' See, it's stuff like this that gives me trust issues." 

"We have to stop the launch." Natasha says and you nod.

You let your mind think to what was happening to Bucky at that very moment and it made you want to break down and cry. You knew that now he didn't remember you and that Pierce would most likely make you his primary target. 

"You gave me this mission, this is how it ends. SHIELD's been compromised, you've said so yourself. HYDRA was right under your nose and nobody noticed." Steve says and you gulp down a breath as you try to push the thoughts of your upcoming inevitable demise from you mind. 

"Why do you think we're meeting in this cave? I noticed." Fury says a hint of sarcasm in his voice. 

"And how many paid the price before you did?" Steve says and Fury instantly replies with sympathy, "Look, I didn't know about Barnes."