8.) Together

Enjoy!

Newt didn't know what to feel right now. So much emotions running through him.

Anxious, afraid, hopelessness, shock, and denial are all coursing through Newt. He can't pick a specific emotion to feel so he blankly stares at the concrete walls instead. He has to put on a brave face but not for himself but for the others. He has to stay brave for Alby and Minho and especially for Thomas. He needs to take charge now since Alby is gone and he is the second in command.

Newt turns around keeping his face blank as he talks to the other boys. He doesn't want them to see him weak, they're not allowed too. He has to be the leader now and that means not crying at least not infront of them.

"Go back to work." Newt says emotionless breaking the silence. The other boys are still in shock as they stare at him.

"Now", Newt demands. That breaks them out of their spell and they scatter away from him, following his order except Chuck.

Chuck stares at him with his big brown eyes. It reminds him of Tommy and it just hurts his insides.

"They're going to make it." Chuck says truthfully, Radiating so much hope that it twists Newt's heart. Newt wishes he could think like him, but he knows he has to be realistic.

"How do you know that? You know nobody survives a night in the Maze" Newt asks coldly, trying to hide his pain.

"Because Thomas is there." Chuck bluntly says and walks away. Newt wishes he could have hope like him.  Newt knows the truth and it ain't pretty. But he can't deny that a little piece of him hopes that Chuck is right.

Newt needs to stay strong but if he  ends  up sneaking away into the forest to cry and think of beautiful hazel eyes and the smell of chocolate chip cookies and home, he'll deny it.

********************************************************************************************

It's morning now and it takes everything in Newt not to run to see the doors open. He slowly makes his way to the entrance trying to prevent the inevitable. He stands next to Chuck trying to stop the shakiness in his hands as he stares into the Maze.

Nobody is there. Newt takes in a deep shaky breath trying to not cry as he turns away but Chuck's shouting makes him turn right back around.

It's them. They're alive. Newt feels a rush of happiness and relief. When they're finally right in front of them and Thomas is staring into his eyes, it takes everything in him again not to tackle him into a hug.

He breaks eye contact trying to focus on Alby. Minho explains Alby was stung and it's because of Thomas that he is alive. That brings his attention and everybody else's on Thomas as Minho mentions that Thomas killed a Griever. It shocks and impresses everybody except Gally.

He wants to have a  Keepers meeting to punish Thomas for breaking the rules. His wish is granted but Thomas's punishment is a night in the slammer and he was made a runner much to Gally's dismay but everybody knows Gally can Shuck it.

After the meeting Newt and Thomas finally had a little bit time to talk. They were both extremely relieved to see that each other was okay but earlier emotions came rushing back at Newt.

"Newt.." Thomas says quietly before he was cut off.

"Don't ever do that again Tommy. You shucking scared me. You said you were here and then you rushed into the Maze not even a couple of minutes after. I know you saved Alby and probably even Minho which I'm extremely grateful for but don't Bloody ever scare me like that again." Newt said angrily, pointing his finger into Thomas's chest.

"I thought I lost you too" Newt said quietly, his anger quickly evaporating as he stared into Thomas's eyes.

"I'm sorry that I made you feel that way but I don't regret running into the Maze." Thomas softly trying not to make Newt angry again even though he thought he looked cute mad.

"I know" Newt says sighing. Before Thomas can say something back, Newt throws his arms around Thomas to hug him. It shocks Thomas for a second but he hugs back bringing him closer. Both are at peace, inhaling each other's scents that they missed so much.

This is how it's suppose to be, them together in each others arms.

Yayyy! I updated!! I hoped you guys enjoyed it. I'm thinking about next chapter Thomas finding out the truth about Alby and Newt!!! Please Comment/Vote!