Chapter 1 - Paint My Walls and Shade Me

Chapter 1

"Ain't that kush, we blow on the best smoke

Inhale slow, no joke, make yo' ass choke

Inhale, exhale

Inhale, exhale,"

I joined Dr. Dre's rapping in the front row of the concert grounds. He was just amazing. I loved how meaningful his words were. Some people didn't understand his lyrics and just loved him because he was a black rapper, but I was not one of those people. I considered Dr. Dre as my role model. He viewed life as something that was not that special. He was stating all that was real.

"I want to thank all yo' niggas who came here today!" Dr. Dre said as the crowd erupted into cheers. "Now, for the final performance, let's give it up for...Eminem!" the crowd's cheering went louder as the white rapper became visible on the stage.

The song was very familiar to me. It was called 'I Need a Doctor'. Since Skylar Grey was not here to sing the chorus, the audio already had her voice.

"I told the world one day, I would pay it back

Say it on tape and lay it, record it so that one day I could play it back

But I don't even know if I believe it when I'm saying that

Y'all starting to creep in, everyday it's just so gray and black..."

He continued rapping and I couldn't help but to admit that I was captivated by him personally. He showed complete feelings. I didn't feel like this with him when I watched the music video of the song. But today, seeing him personally, made me view that he was a great rapper. Even though he was white, he was as great as those black rappers out there.

***

"That was a blast!" yelled Jill, my best friend who also loved Dr. Dre. Jill was every guy's fantasy, with her straight blonde hair and sparkly blue eyes, who wouldn't want her? "I can't wait to meet Dr. Dre personally!"

"Chill, Jill, funny, that rhymed..." I said. "Anyways, chill, we're on our way to meet Dr. Dre," we walked the hallway that led to the backstage of the concert grounds.

"Pass?" a black bouncer asked.

"Here," Jill said as she handed him our tickets. He looked at it before opening the door for us. There were already several people gathered inside the room and it didn't take long for us to find our favorite rapper. "There he is!" my friend yelled. "Where's my camera?!" she opened her bag and searched for her gadget, "Here it is! Oh my gosh! I'm so excited!"

We made our way towards Dr. Dre and I couldn't help myself but smile at the fact that he was standing right in front of me now. "Hey, ladies," he shook hands with us.

"Oh my God!" Jill yelled from beside me. "Dr. Dre! I love you with all m—" I placed my palm on my friend's mouth before she could embarrass herself any further.

"What she wants to say is that you're our favorite rapper of all time," I smiled at Dr. Dre as he returned one to me.

"The concert was a success, Andre," Eminem said as he approached Dr. Dre. It was kind of shocking for me to hear him mutter Dr. Dre's real name, Andre Romelle Young. Eminem turned around to look at my friend then to me, he extended a hand which I took. "Hi, I'm Marshall,"

"Laurie," I introduced.

It wasn't that hard to realize that Dr. Dre and Jill were looking intently at Marshall and me. I pulled my hand away as Jill took this time to introduce herself to the white rapper, "I'm Jill,"