Chapter 10 - Paint My Walls and Shade Me

Chapter 10

"I can't ride that thing," I told him. "I'll die!"

"You won't," Marshall laughed. "You're with me. I won't let anything happen to you,"

"But what if that thing collapsed?! The bo—"

"Relax, Laurie," Marshall snatched my hand once again and dragged me to the roller coaster booth. I wasn't that scared of heights. But I was scared of things turning round and round...like that roller coaster. What if we fell when we were turned upside-down?

It was now our turn to ride the roller coaster and I hid my nervousness. "You ready?" Marshall asked me, clearly enjoying the ride.

"What do you think?"

"You're not,"

"Absolutely right," I told him.

"This is going to be fun," he snickered.

"Aren't you going to lose your hat when we turn upside-down? We can't afford paparazzi here," I whispered to him.

"Don't worry," he smiled. "I tightened it. Want me to hold your hand throughout the ride?"

"Yes, please," and with that, even though I was afraid of scary things such as this ride, I enjoyed it because Marshall was there with me.

***

"That was fun," I told him honestly. "Even though I thought that I would fall, it was still fun!"

"I told you," Marshall hugged me after that with no apparent reason. I really did like his arm wrapped around me. It made me feel secured. "So what do you want to do now? We already rode the best ride in this place. What to do next?"

"How about we ride the ferris wheel?" I suggested. "I always wanted to see the view from up there,"

"Then let's go!"

It was a good thing that not that many people were in the carnival. I didn't like falling or waiting in line. It just took too much of someone's time. An employee opened the door of the ferris wheel for us and closed it once we already got inside.

"Is it the first time you went into a carnival?" Marshall asked. "It's unnatural for a person to not ride a roller coaster before,"

"Of course I already went before," I laughed at his silly question. "I just didn't ride extreme rides because I thought I would die,"

"Guess there's really a first time for everything , right?"

"Yeah, like this one," I looked at window, waiting to view the whole town. "It's the first time I rode a ferris wheel with a guy. When I was a kid, I always wanted my wish to come true whilst inside the ferris wheel,"

"What wish?"

"I can't tell you," I shook my head whilst smiling. "You would laugh,"

"Tell me!" he demanded, which made him look like a whiny boy. "I promise not to laugh,"

"Nope," I popped the 'p'.

"Please?"

"Even if you make the puppy dog eyes, I won't tell you!"

"I don't do that puppy dog eyes look. I wouldn't even dare to try! I would look horrible," he laughed. "Whitney always gets me with that look though,"

"Whitney's a child and very cute!"

"We're almost at the top,"

I looked at the window and was delighted to see the lights of the whole town. The scenery was so great that I could even compare it to a painting. "It looks so beau—"

And before I could even finish my sentence, Marshall surprised me with a kiss. At first, I was shocked. But the next second, I found myself responding to his kiss.

After a minute, we pulled away from each other. But both of his hands were holding my face. I gave him the greatest smile that I could muster, "You know what, Marshall? I'll tell you what I was wishing before,"

"What?"

"It's to have a kiss at the top of the ferris wheel."

***

"Where did the two of you go?" Nathan, Marshall's brother, asked when we got home from the amusement park. I didn't really know if I should be calling this home since I only had one week and six days left to stay. I didn't want to put Marshall's life in danger because of Chris. I already felt the pain of being abused. I didn't want Marshall to get beaten up by my psycho of an ex-boyfriend after all.

"We just went to the amusement park, nothing too extravagant," I told him. "What did you do today?"

"Well, I watched ever since I woke up," he shrugged like he was doing this every day.

"If you want to call it a night, go ahead," Marshall told me. The both of us really did look exhausted because of walking around the amusement park and riding almost all of their possible rides.

"I will," I smiled at him. "You should call it a night too,"

"I'll just talk to my brother about something," he said. "You go ahead,"

"Okay," I nodded. "Goodnight to the both of you then,"

"Night," Nathan said at the same time Marshall said, "Goodnight."

***

As I was about to go to sleep, my cellphone vibrated, signaling for a call. I put in on silent because I was sleeping after all.

I answered the call knowing that it was just Jill who was going to ask the details of the date. Of course she knew about my first date with Marshall. She was my best friend. She knew everything.

"I'll tell you the details tomor—"

Before I could even finish my sentence, a man voice cut me off. "Tell me what?"

"Chris?" I said in complete shock.

"Jackpot," even though I couldn't see him, I knew that he was smirking. "Don't end the call or else, I'll do my very best to kill your new boyfriend. I can even make it look like an accident,"

"How did you know?" I asked, trying to be calm.

"You face is on the newspapers, baby. Eminem, huh? A rapper? You did well,"

"Stay out of my life, Chris,"

"And what if I don't?" he asked. "You going to the police? Trust me, before you can do that, I'll make sure than Eminem's killed by then,"

"What do you want me to do?" I asked exasperatedly.

"Simple," again, even though I couldn't see him, I knew that his smirk got wider than before. "Come back to me."