Chapter 2 - Paint My Walls and Shade Me

Chapter 2

"He called?" Jill asked with an annoyed expression on her face. "I swear if I'm going to see him again I'll squa—"

"I get it Jill. You'll squash him like a bug!"

"Don't joke about this, Laurie," she looked at me from the driver's seat. "We both know that he's a fucking deep shit ass-hole who should be buried alive,"

"Relax," I sighed. "He won't come back. He doesn't even know where I live. Hey, how did you know the address of the studio they're talking about?"

"Dr. Dre told me,"

"I never thought that this day would happen," I smiled at myself. "We were just twenty-seven year old fans who were obsessed with Dr. Dre and now we're on our way to meet him for the second time,"

"All thanks to your ways of charming Eminem,"

"What the hell are you talking about?"

"Nothing..."

***

"Excuse me," Jill approached the counter-lady. "We were sent here by Dr. Dre and Eminem. May I please know where their room is?"

"They did tell me that they will have some visitors. Can I get both of your names for confirmation, please?" she asked nicely.

"Jill and Laurie," she answered.

"Seventh floor, studio room number fifteen,"

Jill grabbed my hand then dragged me to the direction of the elevator after muttering a 'thanks' to the counter-lady. We waited for a few minutes for the elevator. We stepped inside and walked outside when we reached the designated floor.

We searched for the studio room then knocked firstly on the door after we found it. A black guy opened the door and talked to us, "What do you ladies want?"

"We're here because we were invited," now that I noticed, Jill was doing all the talking. I guessed she was just too excited to see our idol again.

"By whom?" the black guy questioned with humor dancing behind his eyes.

"She's with us, chill out, man," Dre's familiar voice saved us from the negotiation. "Come in!" he opened the door widely for the two of us to step inside. "Marshall's recording,"

"He's really good," Jill complimented as Eminem's voice hovered around the room. "Right, Laurie?"

"Yeah," I nodded without taking my eyes off of Marshall through the glass door. "He's great,"

I heard Dre and Jill 'ooing' at the back but I decided to ignore them. I was too captivated by Marshall to even care about Dre and Jill's evil plan. I knew that they were scheming something from the very start and even a dumb person would have figured out that their plan had included me as their main target.

Marshall's song came to an end and he went out of the glass door after placing the headset back to its place. "Hey," he smiled at me. He had that cute adorable smile that looked like it didn't belong to a forty-year old guy. How this guy managed to make himself looked this young, I didn't have an idea.

"Hey..." I smiled back.

"Who are you with?"

I was confused by his question because it was obvious that I was here with Jill who was standing right behind me with Dre. "Ji—" as I turned around to confirm, they were gone. Jill and Dre were gone and I didn't have any idea where they went. I turned my attention back to Marshall. "Jill's planning something with Dre and they think that we don't even know about it,"

"Let them run their fantasies," I found it rather adorable when he chuckled at the statement. "Let them be,"

"I can do that," I told him. "But what am I going to do here?"

"Wanna grab some lunch together?" he then offered. "My treat,"

"I can pay for mys—"

"No," he shook his head. "I'm paying. Let's go,"

I tailed him as he went outside of the room. We stepped inside the elevator as he decided to start up the conversation. "Did you bring the rough drafts of your raps? Andre ordered me to help you edit them,"

"Of course I wouldn't bring them," I rolled my eyes at him. "Why would I let a famous rapper such as you to see some worthless shit that I made?"

The elevator door opened and we walked outside of it then out of the building. "Feelings that are put into words aren't worthless shit. That's unless you write about unicorns and stuff. But I doubt it that you write those kind of things judging from your age," we stopped in front of a yellow car as he opened the passenger's door for me.

I hopped inside his car after muttering a 'thanks' and continued the conversation when he was already in the driver's seat, driving to a place that I didn't have any idea about. "Not every feeling can be appreciated, Marshall,"

"It will be if you find the right person to appreciate it,"

"Are you talking about yourself?"

"Maybe..." he smiled that perfect smile again. "At first I thought I found a person who would understand me, but I was wrong,"

"Your girlfriend...?"

"My ex-wife," well, I didn't expect to hear that. Since I wasn't an Eminem fan, I didn't know any of these things about him. "I married her twice. I didn't regret marrying her but I think she wasn't the perfect person for me,"

"Perfect person?" I asked curiously as to why a person such as Marshall believed in that kind of thing. "Nobody's perfect, Marshall. You can't possibly believe that there's this one person out there who suits you perfectly and the two of you can live happily ever after for the rest of your lives, do you?"

"I believe what I believe is right," he shrugged. "What has gotten through you that made you believe that?"

"When I was a child, I thought that my parents were perfect for each other. But as time went by, I believed something that was utterly impossible. My father came back home every night with a girl just a few years older than me. My mother didn't know about it, she was always out working late...but I knew about it and my father threatened to hurt me if ever I said something to my mother. After I graduated from high school, I already got the guts to tell my mother and just as I expected, my father packed his stuff and left the house which I preferred,"

"You can stop if you want to," he suggested but I didn't want to stop. Jill was the only person who knew about this and it was great to let it all out to another person who was willing to listen.

"I left my mother for college and when I came back home for the break...she was gone," my voice cracked at the end and I felt Marshall's gaze on me. "She committed suicide a week before I came home. Her neighbor and friend was about to visit her when she saw my mother lying on the ground dead with a knife on her chest,"

"Don't cry," I felt a hand on top of mine. I didn't realize that I was crying until I brought a hand to my eye and felt tears on it.

"And that's when I decided to write poems," I continued. "But I heard Dr. Dre on the radio and his lyrics became stuck inside my head that he became my role model. I then decided to give beats to my raps but I still can't quite figure out that part because it's obvious that I didn't have the talent for it,"

"Rapping is about expressing what you feel, Laurie," Eminem squeezed my hand before removing it. It was needless to say that my hand felt so empty without it. "You don't need to have the talent for it. You need to have the emotions for it,"

"I know..." I admitted. "That's why I'm still writing raps,"

"And we're here," he then went out of the car to open the door for me again. I didn't expect for a rapper like him to be gentlemanly. I hopped out of the car only to find that we were parked in front of a fancy restaurant.