Braking News

Two weeks after John died, Raven was declared unfit for deployment and we were let off tour for six months. That Monday morning we gathered our equipment and headed for the airport. Once we were there, we hopped abroad a Boeing 747 Dreamliner with propeller engines that was destined for Texas. It was a six hour flight and there was nothing to do but rest, rest and think. Emelia had vanished a couple of days ago and taken all of her equipment with her. I had tried reaching her on the radio, but only got static. If she was alive, she had gone radio silent. I wasn't sure what had caused her to leave, but I couldn't help but think that it had something to do with John's death. When we made it to Texas, we went our separate ways. Wyatt had a 2 day drive back to Montana and wanted to get going, he had ridden with us to Texas because we were pretty sure that our Higher Ups were gonna dissolve Task Force Raven. Holland had promised us that he'd play as much hardball as he had to to keep our team together, but he also said that we should expect him to lose.

The three of us walked to our cars. Wyatt had a 67 Chevy Impala that was painted a bright blue and had custom bumpers, a custom interior and a V8 from an Audi with the all wheel drive from a Mitsubishi EVO. His car sat rather low and had a top speed of around 200 miles an hour.

My car was a 69, frosty white Camaro with a Twin Screw supercharger that was pulled of a Pontiac GTO. It fed my otherwise stock V8 ten pounds of boost and picked up 55 horsepower at the rear wheels through a five speed from a Nissan Fairlady Z. I had sport tires, custom wheels, springs, wide fenders that I had done myself at work and a race exhaust, which set me back several grand, but unlike Wyatt I was on a budget because my parents didn't leave me money, I also didn't have the know how to do a full engine or drivetrain swap like he did.

"well guys", Wyatt said looking at us, "guess this is goodbye."

"At least for now", I told him, "I really hope that Holland wins his case, otherwise our careers as soldiers are done with."

"If I get kicked out of the Marines then I'm opening an auto garage", Wyatt said unlocking his Impala, "what are you guys gonna do?"

"Join the Navy", Issac said, "what about you Hudson?"

I sighed, "I don't really know yet, something doing metal work for sure."

Wyatt looked at me, "you could come work for me doing body work on the cars."

"I'll keep that in mind", I sighed as I unlocked my Camaro. I slid inside and Issac climbed into the passenger's seat. I pressed the clutch in, placed the shifter in neutral and then flicked my wrist to bring my 400 horsepower V8 to life. I backed out of the parking space and drove to the end of the lot with Wyatt behind me. I signaled a left turn, and Wyatt signaled right. As soon as traffic was clear, I drove out of the lot and got onto the freeway out of Huston while Wyatt drove his neon colored Chevy onto the interstate.

"That might be the last we see of him", Issac sighed.

"Don't remind me",I sighed as my car asked for third gear.

"What are you gonna tell John's wife?", Issac asked, "it's gonna look weird when Taylor sees your Camaro, but not John's Plymouth."

"I don't know yet", I sighed, "it's not like he died a peaceful death and I'm not gonna lie to them about it."

Issac sighed, "I don't know what to tell our parents either. John and Jace were on bad terms when we got called for this tour....I don't even want to think about what will happen when I tell them."

I stayed quiet. I drove the 60 miles from Huston before I hit Brazoria county to stop for gas. It was still another 5 hours to Fort Stockton where we lived, so Issac and I grabbed Burger King and soon we were on the road again. It reminded me of the trip we'd taken on summer vacation one year before we went to Basic. I had just gotten the Camaro and we had gone to California for the summer, where John had bought his Plymouth Cuda. It was a rusted out piece of crap that he and I had spent hours working on and repairing the first day and then whenever we got the chance. I had left it at the airport, Issac had said on the plane that he didn't want to drive it back just yet. It was like another needle in my chest thinking that that old girl was gonna sit there and rust out all over again.

When we finally made it to Fort Stockton, it was nine at night. I dropped Issac off at his door step, put my Camaro in 1st and then started cursing around town. The streets of the old desert town were lit by orange, aged street lights and there were cars parked underneath them. Ranging from the new Supra RZ to sedans to new Acuras, not fancy cars, by any means, but offroading and motor sports in general were popular around here because of the dunes and the canyons, so everyone had parts, even if they were just air filters and self made exhausts. My Camaro's supercharger wailed as I came to a stoplight at Main Street. I could see a few people sitting in the bar on the corner, Frank's lifted Chevy C-10 was still sitting there, as if she were waiting for him to come back and get her. I sighed and tapped the steering wheel, I needed to go see Taylor and the boys and tell them that John wasn't coming home, but I wasn't sure how. I was worried that they, especially Danny, who was a little too mature for his 13 years, would blame me for his death, but I figured they'd much rather hear it from a friend then two men from the Marines who didn't care about them like I did.

I made up my mind. I put my blinker on and when the light turned green I drove past the bar and out into the residential area. I drove to the end of street and pulled into the parking where a Dodge Roadrunner painted Mopar Purple, Taylor's car, was sitting quietly underneath a house lamp, waiting for the return of her partner, a 71 Plymouth Cuda with a V10, to come home, not seeming to know that she was now single. I pulled into the driveway and shut off my Camaro as Taylor came out to meet me. I unbuckled myself and stepped out, closing my door behind me.

"Hudson?", Taylor asked, "what are you doing here?"

"I have something to tell you", I told her, "can we go inside? The boys need to hear this too."

Taylor sighed, "sure, come in, The boys are watching TV."

Taylor and I walked inside. I went to the kitchen and sat down, trying to think of what I was going to say as Taylor came back with Danny and Alex.

"Hudson?", she asked as they sat down, "what's this about."

"Taylor....", I began, "...John's...been killed."

I saw the color drain from her face and I swear I heard her heart stop. She put her head in her hands as Danny locked eyes with me.

"How?", he asked.

"Rocket propelled grenade", I told them, "our chopper went down, it was two weeks ago."

"Two weeks?", Taylor asked through her tears.

I sighed, "no one came out to tell you?"

She shook her head, "no one told me anything!"

I sighed, "I'm not surprised. Taylor, I'm supposed to keep this a secret, but I can't, so you have to promise me what I'm about to tell you never leaves this house. Boys, you two, this could get me sent to jail for the rest of my life if you tell anyone."

"My lips are sealed", Danny said.

"Mine too", Alex answered.

"What is it Hudson?", Taylor sniffled.

"I don't know how", I began, "but a scientist at Chyane mountain had us place John in a military program called Human-Dragon Resurrection, or HDR. They believe, that using advanced genetic engineering, that they can bring him back as a dragon."

Taylor looked at me like I was crazy.

"Your making that up", she said.

I shook my head, "No, I'm not. I was told you'd be informed, but I guess I was lied to."

I reached into my jacket and pulled out a folded up piece of paper and handed it to her, "this is the form we all had to sign for John's entry into the project."

Taylor took the piece of paper and read it before handing it back to me.

"Thanks for letting me know Hudson", she said wiping the tears from her eyes, "do you know how long it will be?"

"No", I told her, "they told, Wyatt, Emelia, Issac and I they can't begin to estimate."

Danny sighed, "so what now?"

"I wish I knew."