Tunnel Rats

The catacombs were dark and damp. Torches which burned with an orange flame provided the only illumination besides our own flashlights. The floors and walls were made of cobblestone,like something you might have seen in an old world war two German village. Stone statues filled pockets carved into the walls,closely resembling Hindu gods.

The atmosphere the place had about made me feel like I was being watched,several times I looked over my shoulder,of course the only ones there were Hudson and Wyatt,but I think even they were spooked by this place.

"This place gives me the creeps",Jackson said as we walked along,"I feel like I'm in some kind of giant spider movie and it's gonna grab us one by one before webbing us up and laying it's eggs inside of us or turning us into mindless drones."

"Let's just keep moving",I said,"the prison should be on the other side of these catacombs."

"I freaking hope so",Jackson said.

After walking for a few more minutes,we came upon a huge chamber. I could see a few scaffolding's as well as crates barrels and mining carts scattered about,which told me it was an excavation site at some point.

"Wow",Issac said,"this place is huge."

As I looked around I noticed a few armed men below us. One of them had just spotted us and was raising his AK to fire. I quickly shouldered my AR and fire two rounds,the man fell backwards into the dirt as his friends turned and spotted us.

"Hey",I said to my team,"we got live ones down here."

I slid down the ramp and into cover behind a large stone block. I poked out from cover and saw two men running up the ramp with shotguns. My instincts took over and two rounds left the barrel of my rifle. The men both took face plants in the dirt as Hudson joined me by my rock,and Wyatt and Issac slid into cover behind a rock beside ours.

"I really wish you had your 48",Hudson said shooting down a man who was approaching our flank.

"Your not the only one",I said firing at a guy who was just poking out from cover.

As the combat went on,I began to hear the distinct sound of bullets chipping stone.

"We got a sniper on the scaffolding on the far side of the chamber,top broad,left side",I said tracing

the bullet path and finding the man in the middle of a reload,"Jackson?"

"I'm on it!",Jackson shouted.

The thunderous crack of a .308 rang out through the cavern. I watched as the bullet struck the man's face,he fell from his scaffolding,his rifle with him and landed out of sight.

"Press forward",I shouted.

We broke form behind the blocks and began to run through the cave,mantling over the fallen debris and dispatching a few stragglers before coming to another torch lit passage way.

"I already hate this",Jackson said,"if I never see another tunnel again,it'll be too soon."

"No shit brother",Issac replied,"tunnels creep me the hell out."

As we walked though the tunnel,I began to hear chatter,as well as metal rubbing on metal,sounding almost like a mining cart.

"Sounds like we got live ones up ahead",Hudson said reloading his FAL,"today just keeps getting better and better."

We hugged the wall and walked along the length of the tunnel before I gave the signal to hold at the end. I drew my knife from it's holster and used it's reflective surface to see around the corner with out exposing my head. I counted ten guards all armed with PPSH's,this would be a tough fight.