Expect The Unexpected

The flight into Iraq didn't take thirty minutes. We touched down at an American firebase where a few soldiers with a combat dog were waiting to meet us.

"Major Mason sir!",the man with the dog said standing at attention and saluting me.

"At ease solider",I told him,"whats the sit rep on this traveling circus attack?"

"We just completed a sweep of the outskirts",the man said,"my team and I just have to sweep this side and we should be set."

"What's your name soldier?",I asked.

"Private Jacob Hargreaves sir",he replied,"calsign Metal 4-4".

"Take your team and sweep your side",I told him,"my team and I will re sweep what's already been done just to be safe."

"Sir yes sir",Jacob replied handing me a map.

It had a route marked out in red marker. The route they had just gotten done sweeping by my guess.

"Fall out guys",he said turning to his team.

They quickly boarded a Humvee and left the firebase as my team and I commandeered an MRAP with a top mounted minigun. Issac was at the wheel,Hudson rode shot gun while Jackson Wyatt and Frank rode in the back with me on the minigun. Issac started the truck and soon we were rolling from the firebase and were on the Iraqi streets.

"Stay frosty guys",I said scanning the rooftops,"chances are they're watching our every move."

I scanned the rooftops with one hand on the mini's handle. I didn't know if,or where,the threats could pop up,as I'd been ambushed by terrorists hiding in holes in walls concealed by posters before. One such incident left a gash missing from my chest and arm and a slit throat. Had it not been for Jackson,I'da bought it that day.

"Raven 2-2 to Meatl 4-4",I called over my radio,"gimme the sit rep on your sweep."

"Were about a fourth of the way done sir",Jacob called back,"how's your going?"

"So far so good",I told him,"will call you if something comes up."

"Yes sir",Jacob replied,"Metal 4-4 out."

I shut off my radio to avoid tracing from insurgents and put my attention back on the roof tops. I could see men watching us from the rooftops. I was certain they were Al-Qadea,but they weren't armed,so I couldn't do anything without the risk of a court marshal.

"Guys on the roof",Hudson said.

"I see them",I replied.

"Probably advance scouts",Wyatt said snuffing,"we should just cap them and be done with it."

"Cmon' Wyatt",I said,"you know that's not how we work."

"Were Class two",Wyatt said,"we can do whatever the fuck we want."

"Doesn't mean we should brother",Hudson said,"just keep yourself cool,if they shot at us,your free to shoot back all you like."

Hudson could get sarcastic like that in times like these. It made him come on as kind of an ass when he did,but we'd all gotten used to it and could often strike back at him with something equally sarcastic. After a few minutes,I decided to check on on Jacob again.

"Raven 2-2 to Metal 4-4",I called into my coms,"Jacob,how ya doing on your sweep?"

No answer.

"Jacob",I called again,"this is Major Mason,please respond.

Again,there was no answer,just static.

"Fucking coms",I said trying to re tune my radio.

"Something wrong brother?",Frank asked.