Chapter Sixteen: Lydia, the mother in law

Be sure to check out my newest work, Brad & Nick.

***********************

Things were looking up for me. I registered for classes to get a degree in interior design. I only took a few classes at a time so I could spend more time with Sawyer. The little guy was growing on me. I mean sure his mother was satan and I couldn't stand her, but there was something about Sawyer. I mean I despised kids. I really really did. But Sawyer was different. He was Teddy's. He was mine. I was his legal guardian now, and it gave me a new sense of responsibility. I never thought I'd say it, but I might even want another kid. Who knows?

This baby had been thrown at me in the most unexpected way possible, but I was falling in love with him. It didn't matter that Corinna was his mother. She may have birthed him, but she gave up all legal rights when she dumped him on our doorstep. That was her choice. Hell, I didn't even think Corinna wanted this baby in the first place. She probably only did it for the money. But it was okay. Sawyer was with us now and Teddy and I could provide him a better home than she ever could have.

Now that Lydia was our nanny. It gave Teddy and I more free time. Time we needed to sort out our particular differences. And when I mean sort out our differences, I mean fix our marriage. Because frankly, at this rate, Teddy and I were right on the fast track to a divorce. Neither of us wanted that.

Sawyer needs two dedicated parents. For the sake of him, and my love for Teddy, he and I decided to change a few things. I mean we didn't need to pay tons of money for a therapist when we could have open and honest conversations with each other in the comfort of our home.

Why even bother?

"All you care about is your stupid blackberry and your stupid job," I argued throwing his phone into the toilet. "If you love your job so much, why don't you just marry it? Huh? Marry it, for god's sake."

Teddy groaned. "I can't believe you just did that. You just flushed my work phone."

I shrugged. "Whoops. Slippery hands I guess. Maybe you can actually focus on things that matter now that your phone has been destroyed."

Teddy ran his fingers through his hair. "You're unbelievable. I work for us, Colin. I provide for you, and now Sawyer. What do you want me to do? Quit? You want us to be broke, and you want Sawyer to go to public school? Is that what you want?"

I folded my arms across my chest. "I want you to pay attention to me. I want you to listen to the words that come out of my mouth, Teddy. You never give me the time of day. You put work over everything else. I want to be put first for once. When was the last time we even did anything together?"

I sat down on top of our bed, sighing. My heart felt like it was going to explode. Shit, I could feel the waterworks coming on. Damn. I think my blood pressure was up or something. My face feels hot, and my palms are sweaty. But it felt good to finally get that off of my chest.

Teddy sat down beside me, wrapping his arms around my shoulder. "I hear you, Colin. I'm sorry that I make you feel unimportant. You are important to me. You're the most important person in my life. I'm sorry I don't make you feel that way enough. Starting today, I swear to you, I will make you feel like that way. To prove it, you and I are going out tonight wherever you want. My mom can watch Sawyer. How does that sound?"

I raised an eyebrow. "Tonight? We're going out? You and I?"

Teddy nodded, planting a kiss on my neck. "Yes. Wherever you want to go. You choose."

Teddy had made the wrong choice asking me to choose. He knows how much I love to dance. So naturally I would force him to take me to a gay nightclub. Definitely, not the one his father sneaks around in. One that I used to go to when I was brand new to the city. Hot Tart. And even though Teddy hated dancing and gay clubs, he went without hesitation. I nearly died when he told his mother that he and I were having a date night. He could be so cute sometimes.