Chapter Two: Teddy's Going to be a Dad

“He got a woman pregnant?” Samantha spat. “What the actual fuck? You know how many times I’ve thrown myself at Teddy and he never – I don’t get it. I just don’t understand. So, who is this mystery woman who managed to convert Teddy for a night? I would love to meet her. I really would. What sort of magic does she have?”

That’s what I have been trying to figure out. Had our marriage been that horrible that he had to go to a woman for love? If that was true, then I have failed miserably as a husband and a lover.

“I don’t know,” I shrugged as I pushed my salad around my plate. “I think he said it was a girl at his job. I wasn’t listening to be honest. I just can’t get over the fact that he wants to raise the child. He nearly bit my head off when I suggested an abortion.”

“Awkward,” Samantha commented. “I’ve had two. Teddy doesn’t believe in that sort of thing though. But I mean, some people just aren’t meant to be parents. I’m one of them. Teddy, on the other hand, loves kids. He’s always have.”

I groaned. Of course, he did. Teddy and I never talked about kids. It never came up in conversation. I knew for a fact that I didn’t want any. They were a nuisance in my opinion. That would just be more work for me. It’s not like I had a job.

“The worst part is that she’s going to be at the Christmas party tonight,” I explained. “He wants me to meet her, because I’m going to be just as much of a part of the child’s life as Teddy is. Apparently she is a very sweet girl who just wants us to be a big ole happy family.”

“Oh brother,” Samantha groaned, as she chewed on a carrot. “She’s one of those.”

I rolled my eyes. “Yeah. Exactly. A big happy family. Sweet, my ass! If she was so sweet, why did she fuck a married man? Huh? That’s what I want to know.”

“Don’t forget gay,” Samantha added. “She screwed a gay man. I actually think I might stay for this Christmas party for once. I would love to see how this all plays out. Are you going to be a complete bitch to her?”

“When am I ever nice?” I winked as Bertha took our plates away. She shook her head at me in disapproval. Bertha could be such a buzzkill sometimes.

“I know Mr. Goldstein cheat, Mr. Colin,” she began as she placed the dishes into the dishwasher. “But I think it is admirable of him to raise child with woman. Mr. Goldstein make great father.”

Samantha made a face at me, rolling her eyes. “Bertha, yes. But it’s not fair. I can’t pretend like I like this woman. She slept with my husband for god’s sake.”

“But you cheat too, Mr. Colin, with personal trainer, pool boy and gardener,” she continued. I coughed as Samantha’s eyes nearly popped out of her head. Jeez. What did Bertha have hidden cameras planted in this house? I never told her about any of that.

“Oh continue, Bertha,” Samantha chuckled, slapping me on the shoulder. “Who else?”

“Bertha is kidding,” I said glaring at her. “Right Bertha? You joker, you! I think I heard the dryer go off.”

Bertha nodded as she disappeared down the hallway. Samantha shook her head at me. I knew she would never let this go. Talk about airing all of my dirty laundry. The pool boy was only one time. It was just a hand job, so he doesn’t even really count. The gardener was two times, maybe. I get lonely sometimes in this big old house. It’s not like Teddy was here all the time.

Now I knew how he spent his late nights at work. He experimented with the women at his office. I think I get a little leeway on this one.

“It’s not like any of them got me pregnant,” I retorted as a grin shot across Samantha’s face.