Chapter 1: For The Dancing and The Dreaming

__________________________

Astrid's POV
Hiccup and I  were in the cove where I first met Toothless. We were just laying on the ground gazing at the sky while our dragons played around us. We come here quite often to just get away from the insanity that is Berk. Hiccup is chief now so we don't get many days like this, but when we do, we take advantage of them.

"Astrid, when do you want to get married?" He asked, looking over at me.

"I don't know, thats a big decision, but with all the obstacles we've overcome I think we're ready." I rolled over on my side to face him.

"I think we are too."

"Anytime would be perfect as long as I'm with you." I whispered just loud enough for him to hear. He smiled a big long smile and leaned over and kissed my forehead. He rolled over on his back and started whistling a tune that I  recognized, but I don't where from.

"Hey, I know that song!" I said excitedly while standing up and him following my move.

"Y-You do?" He stuttered.

"Yeah, For The Dancing and The Dreaming, right?" I asked. He looked down at the ground smiling wide before replying.

"Yeah... it is." He said. Before I could say anything else he grabbed my hands and started singing to me.

"I'll swim and sail on savage seas, with ne'er a fear of drowning. And gladly ride the waves of life, If you will marry me." He paused a bit before continuing. "No scorching sun, nor freezing cold, will stop me on my journey. If you will promise me your heart, and love me for eternity." Now it was my turn to sing.

"My dearest one, my darling dear. Your mighty words astound me, but I've no need of mighty deeds when I feel your arms around me." I sang as best I could. Laughing a bit because I'm a horrible singer.

"But I would bring you rings of gold, I'd even sing you poetry. And I would keep you from all harm, if you would stay beside me." As he sang that verse he spun me in a circle. I laughed before singing my verse.

"I have no use of rings of gold. I care not for your poetry. I only want your hand to hold..."

"I only want you near to me." He cut me off.

"To love and kiss, to sweetly hold. For the dancing and the dreaming. Through all life's sorrows and delights, I'll keep your love inside me." We sang that verse together. Both of us dancing around as we started the last verse. "I'll swim and sail on savage seas, with ne'er a fear of drowning. And gladly ride the waves of life, if you would marry me."

When we finished, Hiccup still held my hands as he bent down on his good leg and pulled out a small wooden box.

"Oh, my gods! Hiccup!" I squealed pulling a hand free from his grasp and covering my gapping mouth with it. Tears of joy were slowly filling my eyes.

"Astrid Hofferson,... I have loved you my whole life and will continue to until the day I die. And I would most definitely ride the waves of life, if you would marry me." His voice was shaky as his own eyes filled with tears.

"Yes! Yes! Hiccup!" I squealed even louder than before. He then pulled me into a very tight, loving hug.

"I thought you were never going to ask. What took you so long?" I asked jokingly. He just laughed as he let go of me and opened up the tiny wooden box. I held out my shaking hand for him to place the ring on, it was a perfect fit. The ring was a simple silver band with Deadly Nadders carved into it and i knew of only one person with this kind of craftsmanship.

"You made this?" I asked curiously.

"Yeah, I-uh-I spent all my free time at the forge crafting it." He said stuttering a bit.

"Well it's beautiful."

"I'm glad you like it."

"I don't like it Hiccup," He looked at me confused and I smiled big.

"Y-You don't?" He said, looking at the ground sadly. I put my hands around his neck causing him to look at me.

"No, I don't like it... I love it, I love you!" He sighed in relief. 

"I love you too, Astrid. And that was not funny, you had me worried and upset." I just laughed at him and he laughed with me. And with that we both walked back to the village, hand-in-hand, to make the big announcement.

__________________________
Author's Note:
I know thats probably not how vikings really proposed, if they even did that, but this is a fanfic so I can do anything I want with it.