Chapter 13: I'm not ready

__________________________
Astrid's POV

I woke up with a pain in my back and neck. I sat up and realized I had fallen asleep on the couch. I groaned and got up. Of course as soon as I got up I felt sick. Again. It's really starting to annoy me.

When I finished in the bathroom, I walked up the stairs to check on Hiccup. He still hadn't woke up yet. I sighed and got ready for the day.

I shuffled my feet across the floor as I made breakfast. I was really craving chicken so thats what I ate. After feeding the dragons I left to go find Ruff. She was suppose to join me this morning for my visit with Gothi.

I trudged down the road to Ruff and Tuffs house. When I arrived I knocked on the door. No one answered so I let myself in.

"Ruff? Are you coming with me or not?" I asked, looking around for her.

"Yeah! Just give me a second!" I heard her respond. I shuffled over to the couch and sat down. Ruffnut soon came out of a room in the back.

"Sorry, I woke up late." She glanced over at me. "Woah! Astrid, you look terrible." I felt like it too. I didn't tell her that of course. I barely slept last night. Worries of Hiccup and what might be going on with me flooded my brain.

"Thanks." I sarcastically remark. "Come on lets just get this over with already." Im really not thrilled about this whole thing.

We arrived at Gothi's. Ruffnut seemed more excited about my possible outcome then I did. Gothi opened the door and let us in. She had me explain what was wrong and then sat me down on the bed. She did a bunch of different test and she checked all over me for any clues as to what might be wrong.

She finally finished and wrote in the dirt. I looked up at Ruff. I didn't know how to read Gothi's symbols, but a while back Gobber had taught Ruffnut how. She walked over to look at Gothi's scribbles and read them silently in her head.

"Well?" I asked.

"Astrid... I was totally right! You're pregnant!" She squealed.

My heart felt like it dropped so hard that it would cause an earthquake. I wasn't ready to be a parent by no means. I don't know how to be a mom or take care of a kid. I'm not ready. Of course I wanted kids, but not this soon. So many things ran through my head and I started to feel dizzy. I clutched my head and winced.

"Woah Astrid are you okay?" Ruff asked. Next thing I saw was total blackness.

---Next Morning---
I woke up in my house. I was in the spare bedroom most likely because Hiccup was still passed out upstairs. I got up and rushed to the bathroom for probably the 100th time this week. When I came out, Ruffnut was waiting for me at the table.

"Hey. How are you doing?" She asked, concern filling her voice and masking her face. I sat across from her.

"I've been better." I admitted. She slowly nodded her head. "Have you checked on Hiccup?" I asked.

"Out like a candle last time I checked." She shrugged. "But that was a while ago."

I stood up and made my way upstairs. I stopped right in front of the door when I heard movement from inside. My heart pounded and excitement pulsed through my veins. I swung the door open and there he stood. My wonderful, amazing, and very handsome husband. His eyes shined when he saw me. I rushed over and jumped in his arms. He caught me and hugged me tight.

"Astrid what happened?" He asked. I explained everything from when Alvin took him, to his last treatment from Gothi. Leaving out the whole pregnancy thing.

"Oh wow I'm so sorry Astrid." He hugged me tighter and a tear slowly rolled down my cheek. I missed his warm embrace, his voice, his marvelous eyes. I missed everything about him.

"I missed you so much!" I said and more tears streamed down my face. He let go of me and I made him sit on the bed. I took his hands in mine.

"Hiccup I have something important to tell you... You'll probably be more thrilled about it than I am." I said. He looked at me curiously and I leaned my head against his shoulder. "Have you thought about any baby names?" I asked, looking up at him. I stared into his amazing green eyes, my favorite color. "Because we are going to have to pick one out." I placed a hand over my stomach.

He stayed silent for a second and then his eyes grew big. "Y-You're... Pregnant?" He stuttered. I nodded my head and he beamed in excitement. I sighed and slightly shook my head.

"What wrong Astrid? Aren't you happy?" He asked, catching my gaze.

"Of course I am Hiccup. It's just... I'm not ready. I don't know anything about parenting. I don't know how to be a mother." I rapidly spoke.

"And you think I do? I know nothing about being a father. All my father ever did was ignore me until I tamed Toothless. In ways it was almost like I had no one. Anytime I looked at him all I saw was disappointment." He shook his head. I sighed thinking about how my dad was the only person I had for a long time.

"In ways Astrid we are a lot alike. Both only growing up with one parent. I mean at least your's acknowledged you and was proud of you but thats beside the point...Now where is that Astrid that I know. The one I fell in love with. The one who loved to try new things. Who's life was a continuous adventure.  She was never afraid of a challenge." He smirked. I smiled back, then sighed again.

"You know she died giving birth to me. My mother, I mean." I stared at the ground. "Im just afraid the same fate will happen to me." I let out a low breath that I didn't realize I was holding.

"Astrid, I know you better than anyone... Ever! I know how you got every little scar on your body. Like this one." He picked up my right hand and turned it over so my palm faced up. "This one is from a dragon attack. A Gronckle was after you, you reached for your knife and accidentally cut yourself... Or this one." He put his hand on my thigh, rubbing a thumb over the large scar. "It was from a Nadder's spine. Stormfly's to be exact. Not to long after we tamed them. She got spooked and threw her spines, one embedded itself in your thigh... And this one." He touched the scar on my left arm and then the one on my left leg. "My permanent mark on you." He smiled and I returned the smile. "And so many others. I know how you got every single one."

"So whats this got to prove. You know my outside so well. What about my inside?" I asked quizzically.

"I was just getting to that." He states. "I also know that you would never go down without a fight. That you're a warrior. You never give up. You look death in the face and laugh at it, mocking it. You never hesitate. And you always, ALWAYS, get what you want... No matter what." He smiled again.

"Well, looks like someones been paying attention over the years." I laughed. He joined in and together we laughed for what felt like hours.

"I love you Astrid." He finally says.

"I love you too Hiccup." I reply. He swoops me into a hug and kisses my forehead.

"Do you want to just stay home today... To relax together for a bit." He asked.

"That sounds perfect." We both beamed big smiles at each other before laying down and snuggling close.
__________________________
Author's Note:
Phew that was a long chapter. Really loving this chapter especially the Hiccstrid scene! Ahh the feels!!!