Chap. 6 A Way to The next Day

I woke up in the hotel, sore and tired and needing some coffee or some type of caffeine. So I roll over and look at the clock, it says 9:49. I get up, get dressed and head out of the hotel room, down to the lobby and to the outside, I encounter few people, which they are probably tourists and other people going to work or wherever they go during the day, and unlike them, I don't have a place to go, so Instead I act like I am going to tour the city for the day.

I look around the city for a park of some kind and I find one that I think is pretty good for sitting and relaxing and thinking for a while.

I start to doze off when a seemingly homeless person comes up to me.

He says,"don't you have some school to go to? or are you skipping today?"

I decided to take the situation as it is. which means that it is still the school year, wherever this is, and I look too young to be out of school and I don't have the type of papers that I will mot likely need, and I now have a curious hobo.

I decided to answer him, "well, sir, I am in need of work, and I may be in need of school, which the college wont let me in this year," I said, lying straight to his face.

He laughs at me and says "young man, cut the BS I know a stray when I see one, but I will do you a favor, I wont tell the police and I will offer you a job in the fine city of Quebec."

I stair at him, thinking he is just pulling my leg and trying to get me into some sort of trouble with the law and with the underground, in Quebec?

so I decided to answer him straight up, and say, "yeah, I would like the job, but if at all possible, I am done with the illegal crap that I still need to keep up with."

He nods and says, I need you to manage an orphanage that I am still trying to keep, join me for the walk there.."

an so I do, curiosity driving me as much as the fear that he will turn me in, or turn me back into a fighter in the rim.

we walk for a bit then He says, "how do you like the bot fights that go on?"

I answer with,"I enjoy to watch them, I dislike being a part of them."

he nods saying, "I also have my qualms about them, especially now that some of the police had joined in the fights, some of the fights go to the death."

already new that, but he seems to be wanting to talk, I still havent gotten his name, and I start to ask him and he says,

"and we need to turn up here, then straight through the light up there," he pionts as he says,

"you see that up there?" he points to one of the skyscrapers in front of us, i say "yeah?" he answers with,"that is my legal office here, and I go by the name of target."

I say,"well that is a nice name, and I go by the name... Richard"

he goes, that is indeed a nice alias for you, but I believe you would be more like a charlie."

I stair hard at him and he says,"sorry, I can read your thoughts young man, and I wont tell anyone, i will eventually teach you about how to block me, and we are almost there."

well, I guess he will be a good ally or a bad enemy, I look around I don't see anyone looking at us, I start to wonder why, when I see a police officer down the street, and target hands me a hat with one of his gloved hands, target smiles toward the police car and yells,

"Hey, is it a good time?"

one of the officers has the vehicle slow and park on the other side of the road, target tells me, just don't touch my skin, and follow me, you will be fine, but do not loose me, even in a crowd short one."

I start to protest but the police cross the street and Target runs off in the opposite direction, and as he had said, I follow him as best as I can, but he starts to go to the more populated are of town and i start to slow down through crowds and I loose him and I start to cry out for his name, but a hand comes down over my mouth and I hear Target whisper into my ear,

"never call that name near a police officer", I pale and target removes his gloved hand and runs off again but I can tell where he is running off to now, he is running to his office.

I decided that I had had enough of the games of the man and ran straight to the building and I sit by the steps waiting for him, I see him walking out of the crowd but instead of a worn down coat and jeans with a hat that had holes I see him walking out with what looks to be new jeans, a fedora, a black jacket and combat boots which I knew somehow that he stole all of that from the crowd.

He says, "come, lets speak in my office charlie."

******

I follow him now at a walking pace, and we walk into the lobby and Target says,

"this gentleman is with me,"

to a security guard that seemed to understand and didn't question him, Target looks ahead at the secretary behind a big desk and he speaks to her and they share pleasantries while i stand there like a stone sentry.

He says something that catches my attention,

he takes something from Ms. Foxx, which I read the name from the desk, and Target says

"thanks Hailey, for the key," she nods, smiles and says, "just don't loose this one, last time it got my supervisors attention."