Chapter 9: Camping

"So Gillespie, my parents wanted to know if you wanted to come on our annual camping trip," James said, running a hand through his hair.

She stared at him skeptically, expecting him to say some cheesy line or to ask her out again, but he didn't. He just stared at her awaiting an answer. "Sure," she said. "I'd love to go."

James brightened up, "Great! Lily's bringing along Domnique and Victoire is coming so I suppose you'll have some girls to be with." He stuffed his hands in his pockets and stared at the ground. "Quill couldn't come because her mum whisked her away on some back to school spree in France."

Jillian nodded, knowing that Tegan was leaving for the week. "When is it?"

"Friday through Sunday of next week. Sorry for the late notice, mum didn't know your parents would be with the Minister in the states."

Jillian nodded. "Alright, I guess I'll see you later then?" he nodded and slowly walked back over to his house. She stared at him, arm folded. Things had never been awkward for them, that is until the day at Diagon Alley. He was shy around her alone, but cocky and amusing with his friends and Tegan. Now she was spending all weekend with him and the Potters, no Weasely family members or annoying friends to pester her. Godric what did I get into? she thought.

________________________

"So, are you going to ask her out?" Fred asked as James packed for the weekend. "Oh come on! You've been nothing but a prat to her and now your suddenly a shy puppy? Get in the game mate!"

 "Look, I don't want to ruin things with her. We're on first name basis and she's actually being nice to me! I can't screw it up by asking her out. She thinks she's a conquest and once I shag her she'll be done for."

Fred rolled his eyes. "Is she?"

"NO!" James blushed at his sudden outburst. "I really like her, I do, and I just don't want to ruin my chance."

Down the street, Rose had come over for a last visit before Jillian left. "Wow, an exotic date into the woods!" she teased. "Why won't you just admit you like James Potter? We all know he fancies you, he's made it quite obvious."

"Because why would he take such a sudden interest in me?" Jillian exclaimed. "He probably only likes me because I didn't like him at first. I didn't melt into his arms and shag him. Guys like him only want one thing from a girl and I'm not that kind of person."

Rose rolled her eyes. "You really think that lowly of him?"

"I dunno." She zipped up her backpack and sat on her bed. "I like him, but I'm afraid he's going to break my heart just like Writer."

______________________

"Mum, why can't I bring a guest?" Albus complained, trailing after his parents. "James is bringing Jillian and Lily had Domnique and Teddy and Victoire are coming!"

Ginny sighed and turned to her son, "If you can find someone in such short notice, you can bring 'em. Otherwise I don't want to hear a peep out of you."

Albus beamed, and ran into the house. He first thought of Louis, but he was away with his dad to visit Charlie in Romania. He thought of his friends, but they weren't available either. He went to Diagon Alley that afternoon, hoping to see someone he knew but he only found Jillian and Rose, James and Fred somewhere else. He hadn't meant to eavesdrop but he just happened to stand behind them at Honeydukes.

"You and James better hit it off this weekend," Rose said. "Otherwise I will be very disappointed in you. You've fancied him for half the summer, though you're too stubborn to admit, and he hasn't made a move! Prat."