Chapter 27: Hogwarts

James stepped through the fireplace and into McGonagall's office. He dragged his trunk behind and stood alone. He saw a bowl of candies on her desk and helped himself. "She would've offered anyways," he said to himself. After a minute McGonagall came through the door.

"Mr. Potter, helping yourself already I see," she said. "Well, dinner's about to start. I don't suppose you'd want to miss that. Entrances were always your thing."

James smiled. "My trunks?"

"Taken care of." She flicked her wand and his stuff disappeared. "I assume you'll want to see your friends again. You've really been the talk of the school." The two walked down the corridors together. "The rumors I hear are outrageous, but let's not let that fill your ego anymore."

James chuckled. "Good to be back, Professor. Oh, would you hold this?" He handed her a a small tube like thing. He smirked before opening both doors to the Great Hall, sparks flying behind him. McGonagall stood behind him and couldn't help but roll her eyes as she held the sparkler. "Just like James and Sirius..."

James swaggered to his usual spot between Jillian and some random Gryffindor.

"Potter!" someone shouted. He turned around to see Drew Bullstrode. "Shame you're back, we were really starting to have fun!"

"Sod off Bullstrode! I've been through hell, you scare me as much as a butterfly."

The school burst into hushed whispers. James couldn't take a bit before hearing his name said. "I don't really understand. You come back after being in a coma and you're the talk of the century!" Jillian rolled her eyes. "So how's quidditch been?"

"We've lost two games James," Lily said. "We're in third place for the Cup. We just need to beat Ravenclaw Saturday and then win the next few games and we'll be tied for the Cup."

James sighed. "I'll bet you've all been slacking! None of that anymore, I'll call extra practices. Dawn and Dusk! Just you wait, we'll have the Cup in our hands in no time. Albus can kiss his victory goodbye." 

___________

School had resumed as usual, no more odd stares or hushed whispers. James was behind in a few classes which led him to load of homework, packed with Head Boy duties, and managing the quidditch team. McGonagall was debating pulling him from being Head Boy to manage his schedule. Pulling him from quidditch was not an option in her mind. They were just too close to playing for the cup...she couldn't.

"Professor, you can't pull him from his head duties," Jillian pleaded. "He'll pull through, he always does."

McGonagall stared at the pacing girl from her desk, her face stern. "Miss Gillespie it's not in your authority to tell me what and what not to do. If I think Potter can't handle the stress of it all, than I'll have Fletcher McLaggen take his place as head boy."

"McLaggen! He's a bigger idiot than James and Fred combined! You can't have him take James's place."

"If you feel so strongly against him, you may pick James's replacement, with my approval."

Jillian nodded curtly before storming out of her office. James, who stood outside waiting for her return, jogged to catch up with her. "Hey, what happened? Jillian, wait up." He grabbed her arm and she spun around.

"She wants to replace you."

James frowned. "I know, she told me."

"Do you want to?"

He shrugged. "I dunno, I think it'd help a lot." She opened her mouth to argue but he was faster. "Jill, I need flying marks on my NEWTs if I want to become an auror! I need quidditch if I want to be accepted to a team. It's all I've got!"