Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Presence;  power;  suave.  A man in a navy blue top strides into the dining room;  an aroma of masculinity following him - Samuel's physique obviously inherited from his father.
"Frank's the name."  His husky voice almost growling me as he reaches out his hand - its mighty grip engulfing my fragile digits.  A combination of his lofty height and toned physique tower over me.

"So. You obviously don't play football.  Do you play soccer or baseball or..."  He asks as we sit, the vegetables pouring onto his plate as he scoops them in mass.  Catherine nudges him with her elbow, a slight bulge of her eyes trying to slice away the question.

"I don't play sport."  Our eyes meet - a sense of confusion flashing across his lens. 

"Well... everybody's different."  The hidden underlying message buried beneath his plastered smile.  Dinner proceeds, Catherine and Frank filling the room with small talk about his new promotion at work.  Her brows furrow as he announces longer working hours, but she hides it behind a smile as she reassures me with a wink.

"I think I'm going to take myself to bed now.  Thank you so much for dinner Mrs Connors."

"Please call me Catherine;  and goodnight!  Let us know if you need anything!"  I smile politely, ready to find peace with myself for the first time today.  

Today has been a long day - a very long day.

**********

My eyes flash open as my fingers trace over the soft cotton blankets - my pupils scanning the room as I search the unfamiliar in panic.  My pounding heart slows down as I let oxygen enter my lungs, re-identifying my room;  my new room.

Sunlight peers through the window - its illumination carrying a Summer's warmth as it kisses my skin, and etches me into awakening.  
Slipping out of bed, I pull on a pair of active wear - shocking myself as I catch my blond muck a top of my head.

Putting my ear to the door, I listen for bustle in the household - the familiar sound of cooking bowls clanging, coming from the kitchen.  I take a deep breath as I make my way downstairs, awkwardly catching the attention of a pre-occupied, baking Catherine.

"Morning Mrs Connor."  I greet, making my way to the refrigerator. 

"How many times do I have to correct you?  It's Catherine!  Where are you off to at this time of the morning?"  Turning to her, I indicate to the energy bottle in my hand.

"I'm just going for a quick morning run.  Is it alright if I take this?"

"Of course it is. It's actually Samuel's;  but he has enough of them to last a lifetime!"  I giggle slightly, acknowledging the stacks of energy drink decorating the shelves.

"Oh uh Mercury."  Catherine stops me, holding her hand up to stop me.  "Do you know where you're going?"  

"Of course I do."  Feigning my confidence, I walk out the front door and place in my AirPods - letting Beyonce entertain me with her vocals.

**********

"Oh hey!  You're finally home"  Catherine calls out as I walk back through the door, beads of sweat slipping down my face - the time passing by in hours.

"I actually got lost."  I answer truthfully, slightly overwhelmed by the new neighbourhood and its generous size -  Catherine laughing in response.

"I don't want to say I told you so..."  Her giggle fills the kitchen, infecting me as a smile spreads across my lips.  I nod in defeat, acknowledging her wisdom.  "Hey, I'm going to pick up Samuel soon, do you want to come and meet him perhaps?"

I freeze, a tingle dripping down my back - taking with it all sense of feeling and emotion.  "I have to have a shower."  The excuse falls out of my mouth as I rush up the staircase, Catherine's words following me on my way upstairs.

"Oh okay.  I'm going to pick him up in about 30 minutes."  Great.  Just great.  My worst nightmare will be back in 30 minutes.  Yay! 

A/N

Hi. They're going to meet in the next chapter :)

What did you think of this chapter? Vote, follow comment if you want :)

Date edited: 25/08/2020

-YOP