Chapter 8

Chapter 8

The rest of the day passes by in a blur as I think about what Samuel said.  The words "I killed a kid" run through my mind as I think about every kid in our school - who can it be?

After a tedious day of school, I walk home and lock myself in my room in order to set up my phone. It's quite easy.   And I already have 2  contacts:  Katherine and the Home phone.

After I spend the afternoon hiding, Katherine calls everyone for dinner.  Only me and Katherine are eating as Frank's still at work and Samuel's at trying.  I dismiss myself to the lounge room while Katherine's baking muffins. I feel as if my presence in the household is enough for her, no conversation needed to create a calm and comfortable environment.

After a few hours of casual comfort, I head back to my bedroom and wash my face - taking out my lenses in the process.   I look at my brown pupils and memories flood my brain as I remembered the true me - the Nathan that lies under my blonde hair and tan skin, the Nathan that lies under Mercury...

**********

I wake up with my phone ringing at 7:30.  I set my alarm the night before and regret it instantly as I struggle to open my eyes.  I get out of bed and walk to the ensuite and run a shower. While in the shower I make sure to use the hair straightening shampoo so that I continue not to be recognised. The biggest problem of today will be convincing teachers that my name's Mercury.

**********

I make my way down the staircase to see Katherine on her computer in the office. Morning I call in as I walk into the kitchen and put some toast in the toaster.

"Morning.   Wait.  That's the time!"  Katherine squeals in distress as she comes out of the office with her robe still on. "You're already ready?!"  Katherine sounds surprised as she looks at my denim shorts with a plain black t-shirt. "Well at least one of you boys are up...Can you please go and  get Samuel. I don't want him being late." Catherine asks while she zooms around and starts making lunches. 

"Uhhh sure.   What way to his room?"  I ask as I mentally pan out their giant house mentally in my head.  Katherine gestured towards the hallway leading out of the lounge.

**********

I reach a similar looking door to mine - a white frame with a white door.   I knock 3 times as I wait awkwardly for Samuel to reply; after a few seconds of silence, I knock again.  Katherine did beg me to wake him so he won't be late...after no reply, I twist the door handle and go in to see a sleeping Samuel - his grey hair scattered carelessly, decorating his head nicely.

"Wake up." I say shyly as he doesn't move.   Please don't kill me, I  think silently as I poke his shoulder.  He rolls over, our eyes locking and he blinks from tiredness. 

"Your uh...your mum...your mum told me to wake you."  I stutter as he just looks at me - a green sea alive in his eyes;  the lack of sunlight unable to hide their prominence.   After he keeps staring at me, I make my towards the door.  There's a loud gulp before the word 'thanks' leaves his lips.  I turn around and smile at him as he starts getting out of bed.  The sheets fall off of him, revealing love heart undies and pale defined abs.  I turn quickly and head out of his room before making eye contact, I catch a slight grin as I rush out of his room.

Making my way to the kitchen I see my toast are still in the toaster - awaiting to be buttered.

**********

"SAMUEL. HURRY UP!"  Katherine yells as I wait in the lounge room.

"I don't mind walking by myself."  I assure Katherine as she smiles at me.

"Oh it's fine.   He'll be out in a second."  Katherine tries to convince me - but his seconds turn into minutes.  Around 10 minutes worth of seconds actually.

Samuel finally emerges from his room wearing a light blue denim shorts paired with a plain blue shirt. "Finally you're awake."  Katherine points out blatantly;  only managing to get a mumble in reply. 

"I made you two lunch...but you might as well eat it now because it's basically 12 o'clock." Katherine says giddily as she smiles at both of us.  We pick up our lunches and make our ways towards the front door.  "Okay have a good day at school you two!" Katherine shouts as we close the front door.

I breathe a sigh of relief as Samuel leaves my side and walks in front of me.  He pulls out his phone and instantly his thumbs start typing;  he pulls his headphones on and glues his eyes onto his miniscreen - cancelling any potential chance of conversation.  The light tune releases from his headphones as we walk towards the zebra crossing.  About 20 meters away a dark maroon car ploughs its way ahead to the crossing.  Samuel keeps walking, paying no attention to the oncoming car.  My heartbeat quicken as I pull the collar of Samuel's shirt back - forcing him to jolt backwards as the car beeps at him and continues on.

"Watch out!"  I stress to him as he looks at me sadly.

"You should've left me." Samuel sighs as I release his shirt. 

"What?  Why the fuck would I do that!?" I ask curiously as he continues to stare at me still. 

"It should of been me who died."   He confesses sadly - bitterness and anger in his voice. 

"Instead of who?" I ask; expecting not to know who he's talking about. 

"Nathan Jones." He replies as he continues across the crossing.

Wait! That's my name.

A/N

Hi guys. What'd yous think of the chapter. Do you feel bad for Samuel or nah?

Vote/follow/comment :)

Date edited: 9/2/18 12:21 pm

-YOP