Side Effects

Chapter Nine:

Side Effects

"Loving is one of the bravest things a person can do."

Maya Granger

The ride back from the lake was spent in the usual comfortable silence. And like before, Ryder held my hand. However, unlike before, he was back to his usual self, and for that I was grateful.

I sneaked a glance at Ryder, and found the fool smiling like an idiot, as he watched the road ahead of us.

Smiling contently, I continued to watch the scenery we passed by, as the sun set behind us, painting the sky with pink, and orange.

By the time we reached my house, the sun had disappeared, in its place was the moon and twinkling stars.

Reluctantly, I took my hand out of Ryder's and undid my seatbelt, then reached for my back-pack on the floor. For a few seconds, I simply sat there, lost in my thoughts, hugging my bag to my chest, and fully aware that I have Ryder's full attention. I can see him watching me, studying me, from the corner of my eye.

Finally, after a few more seconds of silence, I slowly turned to him, our eyes meeting.

I smiled, then said, "Thank you."

"For?" Ryder asked, raising a brow.

"For trusting me. For telling me. Also...I'm sorry for your loss."

He smiled softly at me, before I was gently pulled into his strong arms. The position was kind of awkward seeing as the stick shift was between us, and I was still hugging my bag, but I wasn't complaining. Not when it felt like that was where I was suppose to be; in his arms.

He pulled away and held me at arms length. "I'm the one who needs to thank you, Maya. Before I met you, I would be spending this day locked away in my room trying to deal with the pain alone." His eyes glazed over, before a lone tear fell down his cheek. He chuckled, "Seems like I'm not done yet..."

Automatically, my hand came up to cup his cheek, and wiped the tear stain away with my thumb. Then, like before, without thinking, I leaned in and placed a soft kiss on his cheek, then slowly pulled away. Ryder looked at me with wide eyes, and suddenly, the air felt hot, thick. My heart pounded louder and faster than it has ever before, as Ryder started to slowly lean in, his eyes flickering down to my lips, then back up to my eyes. I backed up a little, knowing exactly what he wanted, and it scared me that I also wanted it; maybe more than he did.

Then, there was something, something in his eyes that made me stop backing away, made me stop running. Made me slowly close my eyes as our noses touched, made me anticipate the warmth of his lips on mine. And when finally, finally he kissed me, a wave of new feelings overcame me, making me want more; making me responed to the light brushing of his lips, and turning it into a more heated kiss.

More, just more.

I came back to my senses when my back hit door with a rather loud thud, making Ryder swiftly pull back. His eyes held worry as he asked, "Are you okay? Does it hurt? Where does it hurt?"

"I-I'm fine..." I stuttered not really sure what to say after that.

"You sure?"

"Yeah." I nodded quickly, before averting my gaze from him. Our position was really weird. Ryder was half way over to my side of the truck, one hand supporting his weight against the dash board, while the other remained on my cheek.

"So, yeah...I'll go now." I said, more to myself, before pushing against his chest. Without waiting for a reply, I picked up my bag again, which had fallen back the floor sometime during our heated kiss, and quickly opened the door, stumbled out, then slammed the door back shut on a surprised Ryder.