Ryder O'Connel's Love at First Sight

"Over the years so much has been lost to humanity. One of them is their belief in love. Their belief in finding that one person to love for the rest of their days. So let me tell you one last thing, my son. Love still exist. And once you find that special person, you will know. Never give up, because love is the one thing in life that is worth believing in.

-From the Journal of Tanya O'Connel, Beloved Mother, and Wife"

Ryder O'Connel

To say that it felt good to be back in good ol' Virginia would be an understatement. It was freaking amazing! Though, as I stood in the principal's office, I could tell some people weren't as ecstatic as I was about my return if Mr. Poulson's glare was anything to go by.

Just to piss him off even more, I grinned even wider than I already was, making his glare intensify and his face redden further.

"Welcome back, Mr. O'Connel," Mr. Poulson said through gritted teeth as he held out my schedule.

"Thank you, Mr. Poulson!" I replied cheerily, snatching the paper out of his hands before stuffing it into my jacket's pocket. As I turned to head out of his office, I could feel him glare daggers at the back of my head. I don't blame him for his dislike for me, but seriously, his wig was so obvious I just had to knock it off. It was an act done out of kindness, really. But it would seem he didn't get the memo if the wig he wore was anything to go by. It was still a shade darker than his natural hair.

Exiting the principal's office, I immediately caught sight of Ashton, making me grin in his direction. Ever since coming back from L.A. I hadn't had the time to visit him, so seeing my best friend after a meeting with a principal who obviously wanted my head was a welcomed sight.

Ashton smiled as soon as he saw me making my way through the crowd of students towards him. As sappy as it sounds, I really did miss him. We were practically family, and to me, family means a lot. So when I reached him, his greeting was no surprise; clasping my hand with his as we gave the other a quick one arm hug. The classic. We tried to make our own handshake back in middle-school but that didn't end well. Our attempts at it still manages to make me cringe.

"How you doing, man?" Ashton asked as we pulled away.

"Never been better," I replied, then a movement out of my peripheral caught my attention, drawing my eyes towards the girl who stood next to my best friend, and my heart stuttered in my chest before speeding up, as a warm feeling bloomed throughout my whole body.

Simply beautiful.

She was short. Well, shorter than Ashton and I, seeing as she had to tilt her head up to look at us. There was something about her chocolate gaze that drew me in, that completely ensnared my heart. I thanked whatever diety there was that I didn't gape at her. It took a lot of effort to will my hands to move, taking her much delicate one into mine, bringing it up a ways as I bent my head to brush my lips softly against her fingertips.

The whole time, I never broke eye contact with her, delighting in the way her pupils dilated and her pulse quicken under my touch at her wrist.

Mom, I found her.

"It's love." I breathed, but she heard it. And by the way everyone else reacted, I knew they did, too.

Confused, I looked around the crowd that was watching us. I resisted the urge to frown. Nothing that was going kn was any of their business, so why were they watching? Turning back to Ashton, I tilted my head to the side. What?" I questioned. "It's love at first sight."

The next thing I knew, she had slipped her hand from my hold and was swinging a fist to my jaw, sending me to the floor. Stunned, I stared up at her mortified face.

Oh, yeah. I found her.

* * *

Back in the principal's office, Mr. Poulsen went on and on about school rules and regulations. Then more stuff that I really couldn't be bothered with. I was too distracted by the girl sitting next to me, her lips pulled into an angry pout. It took everything in me to keep the excited smile off my face. But when I caught her sneaking a few glances at me, my resolve to not smile disappeared.

Then Mr. Poulsen said something about a three-day suspension, and I sent him a frown. Why was I getting suspended as well? I was the victim. The gleam in the principal's eyes told me everything as he answered, "Because I'm sure whatever you did deserved that punch."

I stole another glance at the girl sitting next to me. She didn't look too pleased with our verdict. Once we were dismissed, I followed after her. There was no way in hell I was just going let her go after all that. I wanted to know more about her; about to girl who I fell in love with at first sight.

It was obvious she wasn't that fond of me, so I introduced myself, wanting to start from the top as I stuck my hand out towards her. When she didn't shake it and just continued to walk, I asked for her name.

"Didn't you hear Mr. Poulsen say it?" She was annoyed, and as bad as it sounds, it was adorable.

Of course I heard her name.

Maya Granger.

But, I wanted her to tell me herself. Coming up with a ridiculous excuse that wasn't so far fetched from the truth, her face scrunched in mild disgust that made me rethink my words, I found myself being called creepy. Cringing a bit on the inside, I just grinned, praying to whatever god was out there that I didn't blush from embarrassment.

"Maya," she replied when I asked for her given name, and tested it out for myself, liking the way it rolled off my tongue.

A unique name for an equally unique lady.

I could tell that she was hesitant. I didn't blame her. She just had a guy she did not know claim he fell for her at first sight, I'd be a bit skeptical myself as well. Okay, more than just a bit. But I'll be damned if I let her go. I finally found her, the girl my mother had been telling me about my whole life. It won't be easy, but then again, like the cliché saying goes: nothing worth fighting for is.

So with that thought in mind, my quest to steal her heart as she had stolen mine, began.

* * *

It's over...it's seriously over...NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!! I CAN'T!!! THIS IS TOO MUCH!!!

Anyways...yeah, this is the final chapter of WTBBSILY and it's a bittersweet feeling.

Writing this story and creating its characters was a lot of fun, and all the support I received from y'all was what kept me going. What inspired me to write more. Reading your thoughts in the comments always put a smile on my face, and it's a huge blessing to have such amazing (crazy) readers. Like, I am so grateful for y'all. If it wasn't for each of you, my story wouldn't be where it is today. So thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

So, to wrap this up, HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE!!! I LOVE Y'ALL!!! AND IF YOU WANNA SEE MY OTHER STORY/IES, CHECK OUT MY PROFILE AND I'LL SEE Y'ALL THERE!!!!

LOTS OF LOVE!!!!!
DG❤

P.S. unedited

P.P.S as usual, I'm awkward at A/Ns. Lol!!