Chapter 5

"Ray!" I yelled when I got home. The house was quiet, but the kitchen light was turned on, along with the living room light and the bathroom light.

"Nat?!" Ray cried, rushing out of his room and tugging on a shirt all the while he hugged me.

"Did you do it? Did you pass the challenge?!" he asked after he had made sure I had all my limbs and eyeballs. I sat on the couch, straight backed.

"I did. I was the only one who was able to complete the challenge."

"What was it?"

I showed him the gun. Ray was silent, staring at the gun in my hands. Was he thinking about of dad? I knew I was.

"What did you have to do?" he whispered, sinking into the spot next to me.

"We had to sneak into Crazy Chad's house and steal this shotgun from his bedroom wall."

"WHAT?!" he exploded, his face becoming red with anger. I blinked at his outburst.

"Yes. I was the only one who was successful. I'm not hurt Ray. I swear, I'm perfectly fine."

"I know you're not Nat. You're terrified."

"I'm terrified." I confirmed, letting the gun fall from my hands and onto the floor.

"Come here." Ray pulled me closer to him, and I let it all out. I let loose the sob that has been building up from the moment our mom told us

"I'll be right back, I just have to go to the store real quick." but she never came back and I was left with the thought that most kids think when they are left alone

"She forgot me." up to the point that I learned I only had one chance to escape my fate.

"Let it all out. It's okay to show your feelings Nat, it's completely fine." but Ray was wrong. If I had shown my feelings when Carter broke up with me, I would of never decided to join the challenges. If I had shown my feelings at the challenge I would of never passed the challenge, therefore not being able to leave Brook forever.

So I was going to hide my feels until then.

But I was allowing myself this one cry with my brother, my own flesh and blood, because he was the only one who understood me.

Because he was stuck in Brook with me.

I wiped my eyes, then sat up.

"I love you Ray." I whispered, hugging him. He hugged me just as hard.

"I love you too Nat. I love you too." he kissed my forehead, then stood up.

"I was planning to make some Mac and cheese. Want some?"

"Do I." I grinned, and Ray began to get the ingredients as I took the gun to my room. I stared at it.

"What am I going to do with you?" I muttered at it. The shotgun stared at me back. I finally decided I should just store it in my closet, because I hardly ever went in there. I went back to the kitchen and watched Ray make dinner, forgetting, if not momentarily, that I was supposed to hate the town of Brook.